Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so i completed my swap on my 97 obw 5spd manual to a 2.2 non egr motor. couple questions thou... 1st the car runs great with the 2.2, but i get the previously stated egr code, and i also get a evap canister code.

once, the day after the swap, the car wouldnt start.. just cranked and cranked (after i had it running and driven it after the swap) i had just filled the gas tank, and it wouldnt start afterwards while sitting at the pump. about 10 min later, after looking around under the hood and finding nothing, it started up no problem thou.

on the 2.2, there was only 1 vacuum line to hook up, on the fender well of my obw there are 2 sensors, that the 2.5 had 2 vac lines going to them. the only line on the 2.2 i hooked to that sensor, and plugged the opening on the other. as far as the evap canister is concerned, there is nothing to hook to that. unless the vac line i have on the 2.2 should go to the evap canister instead... i know gary has done this same swap, curious if he remembers?? or, does a non egr motor not use the evap canister?? just curious if anyone may know the answer here... the only reason i hooked it to that sensor is because it was the perfect length hose, and just seemed to go there.. i wish i didnt junk the donor car b4 i completed the swap, but my buddy whose garage we used didnt want the thing hanging around in the interim.

From what I've heard there are two EGR related codes. One pertains to the presence or absence of the EGR solenoid (i.e. it's looking for continuity from the solenoid's coil) and there's another code for EGR flow. It's easy to fake out the first one (you could just use a resistor equal in value to the EGR solenoid's coil) and difficult to fake out the EGR flow sensor. Evidently, the computer looks for a shift in manifold vacuum (via the MAP sensor) when the EGR valve is open to verify that exhaust gasses are flowing through the EGR valve.

Nathan

From what I've heard there are two EGR related codes. One pertains to the presence or absence of the EGR solenoid (i.e. it's looking for continuity from the solenoid's coil) and there's another code for EGR flow. It's easy to fake out the first one (you could just use a resistor equal in value to the EGR solenoid's coil) and difficult to fake out the EGR flow sensor. Evidently, the computer looks for a shift in manifold vacuum (via the MAP sensor) when the EGR valve is open to verify that exhaust gasses are flowing through the EGR valve.

Nathan

Thats the problem I'm having now. I wired in the flow sensor to the main harness, which got rid of one EGR code but bought me another (the valve thing). There are two vacuum connections to the flow sensor but who knows where they should go to fool the computer? Its the change in vacuum that its looking for that would be hard to duplicate. Am living with the light for now.