Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3peat - new bearings, then new hub assembly - bearings still failing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,992 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

1996 Legacy LSi FWD. I pulled the hub assembly and had a shop press in new bearings. Those lasted about 20,000 miles and failed.

I bought a used hub and installed it, hub seemed fine of course, no play.

Now that same bearing is failing again after only 10,000 miles.

I've had an alignment done and the tires wear evenly. Is that just bad luck or can something else cause bearings to fail? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

The original rotor is still there, can a rotor warp so bad that it's making noise "wub, wub, wub, wub" and overheating the hub? Temp gun showed something like a 30 degree difference from one side to the other.

Edited by grossgary, 09 September 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#2 pearlm30

pearlm30

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Tampa, FL/ Bethlehem, PA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

Could be wrong torque specs(over tighten) on the lug nuts and the big long bolts by the rear hub??? I know a lot of SVX rear wheel bearings failures are due to over torque other then not replacing the shipping grease

#3 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

Is this the front, or the rear (rears being the subject of an endwrench article)?

The knuckle could be out-of-round, front or rear.

Also, was the shop familiar with subaru stuff? There are a time or two in the presswork where you have to be *very* sure you are supporting the right part.

Lastly, did you torque the hub nut with the wheel in the air, or (hopefully not) on the ground?

That's all I got, in addition to wjhat's been said above.

Dave

#4 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

SOA introduced a revised low force install procedure that uses hub tamer type tools that decreases the risk of deforming the bearing and/or the knuckle during assembly.

In almost all cases, a properly installed bearing fails when one of the grease seals is compromised.

How do the polished sliding surfaces of your rear half shafts look? If they're pitted and rough, they'll chew through the inner seals and cause repeat failures.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,992 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

thanks guys, i'll check all that stuff. i think i'm just going to swap in another hub assembly rather than deal with that nasty bearing job.

#6 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,927 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hard to say. Could be an imbalance in the brakes causing the extra heat. Tire noise can sometimes be mistaken for a bad bearing. Of course, if the noise goes away immediately after replacing the bearing and the same tire is still on, then it can be ruled out.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,992 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

Tires have been rotated with no change. I don't think tire noise would increase the temps 30 degrees on one side over the other, I would think that has to be friction related.

I'm going to make sure the brakes aren't dragging and then swap in another hub.

Edited by grossgary, 09 September 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#8 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,927 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

If tire noise could cause bad bearings mine would have fallen apart by now. :lol:

A stuck caliper or wheel cylinder would cause the excess heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users