Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy OB Keyless Entry

I'm trying to get a keyless entry to work. It has the subaru keyless entry box under the dash secured by zip ties. I tried holding down the programming button but nothing happened. I held it down for like a minute with the door opened and the key in the "on" position. I also verified that there is a 20 amp fuse installed for the keyless entry. Fuse is in good shape.

any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

I'm trying to get a keyless entry to work. It has the subaru keyless entry box under the dash secured by zip ties. I tried holding down the programming button but nothing happened. I held it down for like a minute with the door opened and the key in the "on" position. I also verified that there is a 20 amp fuse installed for the keyless entry. Fuse is in good shape.

any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

i just did this over the weekend. the first time i tried i had the car in on position, radio worked, windows didn't. the next time i had in in the run position (but never cranked it over) this way worked just like cars101 said.

did you try it that way?

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried it again with the door open, in the run position. Just like car101 says to do. nothing happened, no door lock cycling.

I know the button works, cause I disconnected the battery and it squawked at me until I pressed the button in the run position as directed by cars101.

any idea how to diagnose if the keyless entry box is working and/or connected properly?