Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'74 wagon..

ninjaben43

so far ive got he car, motor , tranny, rearend, and rear assembly from an 80 brat to swap the car to 4wd(thanx oneeye)

priorites for now:

1. swap the car to 4wd.

2. swap front end to 80 brat.

get the car updated to be able to accept ej, IE. 80 brat, crossmember, steering rack, control arms, the 74 crossmember is way different. the steering rack runs ontop of the crossmember, and on the control arms the swaybar is the only stabiizer.

i have to spread the "frame rails" in the engine bay a little to be wide enough to fit the ej.

i need to mount the rear assembly, and modify the rear frame to make room for a driveline.

change the gas tank out because the junkyard i got the car from punctured the tank to drain it.

well, thats all for now, ill try to keep you all updated.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone ran into a width diference between early ea71's and later ones? my rear assembly from the '80 brat seems to be wider than the '74

or mabey the plate in the center is different? its kinda hard to describe. mabey this should be asked inthe historic section. seems none of you are interested.

In 1974 the EA71 was not an option, the EA63 is what your car should have. The EA63 is *similar* to the EA71, but not the same. ATM, I cant recall all the dimension differences, but I do know the belhousing/cam gear cover is totally different than the one on the EA71 (smaller bolt pattern). They are the same width though, I have a EA63 manifold on my EA71 in my 1980 Brat right now... The EA63 is the 1400 cc motor just FYI... The EA71 was basically a hopped-up EA63, same desing, just with bigger bores IIRC... I know the waterpumps and a host of other parts interchange between the 2...

If you have the original motor, it should have the number EA63 or *maybe* EA65 stamped on the block, near the bellhousing. And yes, Historic section is where this should be, as thats where the REALLY old-school gurus hang out :lol::headbang:

-Bill

im talking about the car itself. by ea71 i meant the bodystyle. the thread belongs here because of the build. if i were to put this in the historic forum, id probobly get the same response because of the "ej :confused:"

my question is in reference to the actual body, i removed the 2wd rear swingarms, and put in the 4wd ones, and they bolt up fine in the wheel well, but in the center of the car the y bolt up to a plate that is welded in, and they do not line up. i am concerned about drilling new holes, and mounting them due to wheel allignment problems. it seems as though the rear of the 74 is mabey 2 inches narrower than the 80 brat that i got the 4wd assembly from. mabey today i can get out there and take some pictures, but probobly not.

Edited by ninjaben43
more info

and another question (for ej guys)

the gas tanks that came in these cars do not have a return fuel line. i cant change tanks due to the filler being on the drivers side. do you think i could run the return and plumb it in to the main fuel line "before" the fuel pump? would that work? or do i need to pop a hole in the tank and run it inside?

Try taking the trailing arms from the '80 brat off of the torsion bars, and put the '74 torsion bars on the Brat trailing arms... that *might* solve it. Also, the '74 wagon is refered to as a Gen 1 Stage 1, and the '80 Brat is a Gen 1 Stage 2.... There were some major changes made when the Stage 2's came out in 77, so it is possible that the Brat rear end could be different. If you can, try to find a 76 4wd wagon, the rear torsion bars from it *should* bolt right up to your wagon, but maybe not. Id have to go measure my 73 and my 76 4wd to be sure.

-Bill

ya it was hard enough to find the 80 stuff, i may just try to drill new holes and mount it and hope im not to far off from where it needs to be for proper rear alignment. ill look into the torsion bar swap tho', thanx for the info.

i suppose i could cross reference rear axles between the two to know for sure?

anyone got any thoughts on my gas tank?

Edited by ninjaben43

• 2 weeks later...