Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 subaru gl clutch

geo.

Please let us know what you hear. I suspect I may need a clutch sometime in the near future (115k on the current one), so I'm curious. I have heard that Subie clutch cables stretch a lot--have you adjusted it?

It's not from a Seattle Subaru mechanic, but an independent shop here in Denver told me they'd change an axle for $100 (labor). Don't know what a new or reman. axle costs.

• 10 months later...

I was kinda shocked when I went into a NAPA store(ashland,ore/college town) and they had a clutch cable in stock for my 82 BRAT. I was broke down, offroad, doing forestry related work.

And those axles, I got some from Autozone. They come with a lifetime guarantee(original purchaser), which I have had to use, and gotten exchanges for free. Although, one time I was getting ready to leave for a Middle Fork Salmon River rafting trip(covetous permit trip), and had one that I wanted to change out/off my brat. The "new" one made noise and vibrated when I hit the pavement, 3/4 of a mile, bottom of my 4x4 driveway. But I drove it anyway, and all the way back. And exchanged it, for free. Like it says, original purchaser, so you have to keep the receipts. The last time I called about exchanging one of these, they said not to come in(I live outta town), as they had to order one from their supplier, wasn't sure if they could get them. But they did get one and also told me they may not be getting these in the future.

Edited by brat82

It's not from a Seattle Subaru mechanic, but an independent shop here in Denver told me they'd change an axle for $100 (labor).

$100 labor to change a EJ subaru Axle is rediculous. In a shop with air tools....It takes 20 mins....literally.

I charge $60 and feel like I'm gettting over on 'em.