Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat questions

DanMac

I just puchased my first brat (an 84 with the ea81) and the turn signal indicators don't work. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem first? I am also wondering if this is a hydraulic or solid lifter motor as my book says both.

DanMac

84 would be solid lifters if it's a manual transmission - hydro lifters if it's an automatic.

As for the indicators - do the actual signals work? If so you have either bad bulbs in the cluster or a wireing/connection issue behind the cluster. I've never heard of or seen a failure like that before so I think you'll have to dig out the DMM and the wiring diagrams.

GD

All sygnals work fine, just no indicators for either direction. Can't imagine both bulbs burning out and nothing else. I guess the cluster is gonna have to come out to figure it out. :(
In 25 years, both bulbs could be out. Pull the instrument cluster and check out the bulbs. Not too difficult; worst part is unplugging the speedo cable.

Pulled the cluster today (not to bad of a job at all) and found all bulbs to be good but bad connections where they twist in. Bent the contacts up a little, reinstalled, and wuttaya know, lights again! found this same problem with my 4wd and lo indicator lights as well when I thought for sure I had a bad switch on the trans. Glad I checked that while it was apart. The speedo cable was a cinch. Just have to remove the lower kick panel and reach in from under the dash.

Great that you fixed it. I have had similar issues with the actual gauges like the voltage and temp, etc. They are attached to the circuit board with small brass nuts and the copper on the board will corrode (especially as the car's get older and the window/door seals don't seal well) and you will get intermittant or poor operation of the gauges as well.

GD