Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the proper settings for the AC and Alternator belts?

Do you have to re-tighten again after a few miles?

I just replaced the harmonic balancer, or what was left of it, it had separated but was still on the crank! Top part came off in my hand once old belts were off!

This is on my daughters 2003 Legacy Outback 2.5.

Do the harmonic balancers separate often?

Well really appreciate proper belt tension settings guys.

Tom Plantier:banana:

Hey,

"What is the proper settings for the AC and Alternator belts?

Do you have to re-tighten again after a few miles?"

I don't know the proper setting for your belt, I assumed it had an automatic tensioner. A belt tension gague of simple construction is $10.00 or so and they work well. After you use one, you will have a good sense of what you need to put on future belts. Simple instructions and a tension guide is molded into the one I have.

Generally tho, a new belt needs more tension than a re-used belt. New will relax more.

hth,

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

If your 2003 is like my '99, you have two "V" belts that run off the crank. I tighten mine to the point that I can only finger twist the belt 90 degrees at the mid point of the longest length between pulleys. With a new belt, I recheck the belt tightness after driving the car for about a week. New belts sometimes stretch a little when first put into use, then are fine there after. It is very important to buy a good belt. I buy the most expensive the auto parts store sells. It is just a few bucks more. The cheapies, I have found will continue to stretch, requiring retightening about every 4-6 months. That hassle negates the cheap price. Hope your daughter continues to enjoy her Subie!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there anyone. I just replaced my girlfriends harmonic balancer. cuz i think belts where to tight when the oil change place replaced them. Well I put belts on and adjusted them,(like I saw on MB.3/4") but now it feels like to me the alternator pulley is to hot. any looser and the power steering belt slips. any clues about a happy medium? Thanks.