Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey.

you may have been following the probs i have had with m my oil seals change.

today was quite productive. i managed to get very lucky and be able to grab the broken oil pump bolt with some pliers and twist if out.

also managed...finally... to get all my camwheel bolts loose. just needed lots of grunt with the breaker bar!

Changed the seals, worked out the oil leak i had must've been coming from the right exaust pully, as the seal fell out when i took the pully off!

put the wheels back on, planning to tighten them when i had the belt back on.

put belt on, pulled the tensioner pin... all looking good, getting exited!

Put on crankwheel on, did the ole screwdriver trick, tightened the shiz-nit out of it.

tried to tighten the camwheel bolts up as much as poss, however when i tightened them, using the screwdriver trick, they started spinning while the timing belt stayed still....************!

span them all the way round, lined up all the marks (except crankwheel, which didnt line up anymore for some reason....??)

started the beast......

DIDNT START!!!

so im guessing the timings out???

or maybe i screwed the valves when the cam pulleys span 90deg while i was trying to tighten them up???

What are your thaughts?

how can i fix what ive created?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... especcially if this has happened to you, and you fixed it without having to take it all apart again...

Cheers

Tim

i've never heard of cam shaft marks, only the marks on the cam pulley.

with double OHC, you can have valves collide with pistons, and valves collide with valves.

you need to start over. you need to torque the pulley bolts / nuts before you hang the belt. remove the belt, torque the cams up to spec, set the crank and then move on the the cam pulleys. for a few dollars, you can get small spring clamps to hold the belt on to the cam pulleys so they don't slip after you get them in the right place.

good luck.