Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 sp auto - no 4WD...

bean

Hi guys,

My 86 GL-10 Turbo wagon has lost drive to the rear wheels. Pressing the 4WD button does nothing whatsoever, but the lights for 4WD are lighting up on the dash - and the fuse is good.

Is there a simple fix for this like cleaning the govenor fixes forward speeds?

I'm not real worried as it drives and shifts fine in 2wd - but we have some of the worst weather here now and no 4WD makes it just like any other car, and that's no good!

If it's a simple fix I'll attempt it, if the tranny is shot, it's not a big loss - car is turning into a parts car for the new 87 wagon I bought that has less rust.

Thanks,

Rabin

The 4wd on a 3speed auto is controlled by a solenoid that opens and closes the valve that controls the flow of fluid to the rear clutch pack. What I would do is unplug the solenoid and see if you're getting 12v from the wiring harness when the button is pushed in.

I'll check out the solenoid ASAP. Prediction is for 15 - 20 CM in the next 24 hours.

Crazy blizzard conditions and the poor Subie just isn't itself without 4WD. Still great in 2WD- but MAN does 4WD rock!!

Can anyone tell me where it is located on the tranny? My garage is snowed in and I wouldn't be able to get to it in 2WD. I'll have to head into the storm and get under the car tomorrow to see if it is unplugged - or is it accessible from the top?

Thanks

Rabin