Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0463 Code. Where can I find the part?

Hi All,

So, today my check engine light on my '97 OBS came on and threw a P0463 code. So, I want to replace the driver's side fuel level sending unit.

Autozone doesn't have it. They don't even have the fuel pump assembly with the passenge side fuel sending unit.

I've been searching the internet like a madman, but I can't find anyone that sells it.

Is this a dealer only thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Always replace things without properly diagnosing it, if so do i have parts to sell you :).

This can be as simple as a corroded electrical connection.

Is your fuel gauge reading properly? This code is high input, I forget if high is too high a resistance (i think it is, an open) or too high a voltage (a short). Im guessing its an open.

These senders are very innacurate but rarely fail. The sender itself is located under the drivers side floor behind the rear seat easily accessed behind the rear seat.

Ebay is a good place for these, but you wont find a custom rarely go bad part like this anyplace except a junk yard or a dealer.

nipper

Everything I've read says that these parts are a weak point. But I did find one post that said just replacing the wiring fixed the issue. I've already checked the connection behind the driver's side back seat. There is no corrosion (dust, yes. corrosion, no). I disconnected the sending unit and watched the fuel guage go to "E," then reconnected and watched the guage go back to "F."

My fuel guage does go batty at about 1/2 tank (jumps around, etc.), just like most other people that have suffered/reported this failure. When the tank is filled, the CEL goes out after 6 engine cycles (the approximate time that it takes to reset a code like this--fuel sensor and/or EVAP codes).

Now, if you can tell me where the connection is on the other end (i.e. the end not behind the rear seat), I would greatly appreciate it! Or how to further diagnose this issue prior to flushing my money, that would be great!

Should I try replacing the wire from the sending unit forward, first?

Everything I've read says that these parts are a weak point. But I did find one post that said just replacing the wiring fixed the issue. I've already checked the connection behind the driver's side back seat. There is no corrosion (dust, yes. corrosion, no). I disconnected the sending unit and watched the fuel guage go to "E," then reconnected and watched the guage go back to "F."

My fuel guage does go batty at about 1/2 tank (jumps around, etc.), just like most other people that have suffered/reported this failure. When the tank is filled, the CEL goes out after 6 engine cycles (the approximate time that it takes to reset a code like this--fuel sensor and/or EVAP codes).

Now, if you can tell me where the connection is on the other end (i.e. the end not behind the rear seat), I would greatly appreciate it! Or how to further diagnose this issue prior to flushing my money, that would be great!

Should I try replacing the wire from the sending unit forward, first?

there are two senders wired in series, so check the passenger side also. Before you go ahead and replace the sender, bench test it using an ohm meter. Take it out of the tank and inspect the rsistor contact, make sure its not delaminating or is really fouled.

nipper