Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering rack shudder

Hi All.

After ruling out that my rotors were not warped I am moving on to the theory that my problem might be to do with the steering rack.

The problem:

When I brake from 20-30mph or more I get heavy vibrations from the steering column.

I called the local road side assistance guy out today for a second opinion and he said it was more than likely the steering rack too.

Does anyone know specifically what the problem could be (maybe as simple as a loose bolt)

Since I am new to working on my own cars it would be great if someone could post some pics of areas to look at so I know what im looking for.

Thanks all.

(please be patient with me im still learning)

(Btw its a 1990 DL Wagon)

Edited by someguy

Hi All.

After ruling out that my rotors were not warped I am moving on to the theory that my problem might be to do with the steering rack.

The problem:

When I brake from 20-30mph or more I get heavy vibrations from the steering column.

I called the local road side assistance guy out today for a second opinion and he said it was more than likely the steering rack too.

Does anyone know specifically what the problem could be (maybe as simple as a loose bolt)

Since I am new to working on my own cars it would be great if someone could post some pics of areas to look at so I know what im looking for.

Thanks all.

(please be patient with me im still learning)

(Btw its a 1990 DL Wagon)

Hi, check the big nut that is on the front axle, if that is a bit loose can do this, also check the cone washer under the nut if they run loose they wear a notch and then never get tight properly.

The rack wouldn't just shudder when breaking, it would do it all the time. Lets see.... ball joints, tie rod ends, the little steering column bushing above the little u joint, control arm and radius rod bushings, wheel bearings tightened correctly, rag joint, then rack. ( did I miss anything?) Its a whole refreshed front end almost for just a little more than just the rack!

Some people think "tight" is good for the big nut holding on your wheels like ford. Subaru thought 200lbs tight is better and designed it for that.