Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Light Bar

So how do you guys put lightbars on the top of your loyales? What do you use for the bar, how are you running the wires in (weather-proof?)???

Thanks

btw, I'm running 3 or 4 7" HIDs, still havent decided on if I want to pony up for four or run three (as if I only put two up top the car would look like a d@mn mouse).

-S

I used a bar for a fullsize Bronco that I got super cheap.... I just shortened it a bit, and drilled holes through the roof, and used lots of silicone to seal everything. The only thing I would do different is how I ran the wiring, Im still not sure why I did it the way I did it.....

13-inchsparemountedoncustomrack.jpg

Thats the only real picture I have of the light rack....

-Bill

I ran a single power wire up through the roof no where near the mounts, so its in a ridiculous location. If I were to do it again, I would run the wire inside the mounting legs on the drivers side. Kinda a pain in the rump roast, but Ive done it before on other rigs and it makes things 1000 times nicer in the end. I still have no leaks though, I siliconed the snot out of every place water could possibly go....

-Bill

I have some lights like that too.except mine came off a nissan 720 at pull and save. They are mounted on a piece of 2x1 extruded aluminum(came with the lights).I just drilled straight through the roof.The wireing is exposed because I really didnt feel like trying to run them through the bar and connect them up...

Just wish I could do something about the light bar shaking on rough roads...The sheetmetal of the roof is pretty flemsy.I dunno maybe a fender washer on the inside rather than a regular washer...

I zip tied some wal mart lights onto a thule roof rack and ran the wires in the gutter down the A pillar down to under the hood. works great.

1126081448.jpg

you can kind of see the wire behind the radio antenna, but other than that it is invisible

the only problems i had were when a tree branch broke off one of the lights. thanks to the zip ties, it didnt sustain any damage and i found it on the ground 2 days later and re-attached it. Still works!

Edited by Markus56