Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Oil pressure

My 1991 loyale 5mt runs at very low oil pressure on the highway, near 0 psi sometimes. when driving around town it goes up a down a little, but usually sticks around 30 psi.

The car also has a faulty thermostat, normal engine temp the needle sits around 1/4 of the way up, as opposed to 1/2 way up.

Anyhow on my recent drive from norcal to socal when i was going up big hills in 4th gear @4000rpm, the pressure would be near 0 and the temperature would go up to about half way.

If i cruise below 3000 rpm the oil pressure is around 15psi. If i go over 3000 on the highway, it drops close to zero.

Anyone have a dignosis? Do the ea82's normally run at that low of oil pressure?

Thanks all!

heres a benchmark:

mines a 1990 turbo wagon

runs always at 1/4 the way up on the temp guage except on tripple digit days where it'll run 1/3 the way up

oil pressure, even on tripple digit days, runs arround half way at high way speeds, warmed up using 30 weight.

i had 2 sending units go bad on mine so i junk yarded some. its not a good sign if your pressure goes down and the temp goes up though.

what weight oil are you using?

No idea what weight, it just came from the mechanic with new heads installed.

Im just going to give it back to him and let him know the pressure rides very very low when cruising the highways and the temperature goes up when i push it up big hills. Ill let him know the gauges may be faulty thanks for the info

Alright so i got some news on the car. Not great news.

The oil pump is shot, its wastegate remains partially open and hold no pressure or something. That needs to be replaced.

As with the knocking noise, that only happened once. The mechanic says the bearings in the bottom end are going out due to having little oil. This noise only happened once though, and went away. Im thinking i wont have to worry to much about the bearings at this moment, since the noise went away? What do ya'll think?

Anyways im sort of pissed he said they would have to replace those bearings cause the car was in there all last month getting new heads and running right, only for them to send me out the door with a still ************ty oil pump. Shouldn't they have tested that?

Should they be entitled to rebuild the bottom end of my motor, even though they just replaced heads/waterpump/timing belt? They checked my water pump and told me to replace, so i did. If it needed a new oil pump i would have replaced it too. It did have an oil leak, which they fixed.

Should i go after these guys, or should i take my losses and put a new oil pump in and hope the bottom end doesnt go out anytime soon.

Sorry for the huge post