Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone want to help me replace HG?

Sorry if you guys get tired of talking about headgaskets. This is my first post ever. I bought my first Subie- a 2000 OBW MT and love love love it but I had to move across country and was in a tough spot and had to pull an overloaded trailer. Long story short, we made it but not unscathed. Now the tranny whines and the HG are leaking. 203k miles.

And I just picked up a 01 Forester with blown HG for cheap- Automatic Tranny 148k

Are the auto trannies good on these?

Soooooo,

I have read everything I can find about DIY and it would be nice if someone around New Hampshire could supervise? How much would it cost me? :banana:

Does anyone have an engine or two?

Has anyone seen or heard of a HG problem with the EJ22? (In case I sell both and get one with that engine.)

Well, if you had gone the other way (and ended up in Concord CA) I could have helped you with this, as I have done several of them, and have all the tools to do so. New Hapmshire, however, is a bit of a hike for me. . .

The EJ22 is a rock solid engine and while it can blow headgaskets, it takes a lot to make it do so. The EJ25 was much more prone to this, which was a problem that Subaru addressed by redesigning the headgaskets used in the first incarnation of this engine (the DOHC Phase 1).

Concord MA would have worked for me. Not that I have ever done the HG surgery, but I could have watched and smoked a cigar and cheered you on as you operated. Hmmm, I think I will light up a Don Pepin Garcia robusto today at lunch in honor of my beloved little 2001 Forester. I call her, Nina. :banana:

You guys rock, thanks for getting back to me. Ok so while I was out I found a 98 Outback MT w/140k in good shape that I can pick up for $500 with blown HG's and I'm thinking of doing the 2.2 L swap on that one with a 2.2 from a 95 or 96 AT car.

Anyone swapped in a 2.2 L on a Phase 2 SoHC Forester? I heard the 99-01 Impreza 2.2's work but you need the y exhaust. Is that right?

There's a lot of info about engine swaps here. Do some searching and you'll be sure to find it.

The EJ22 is a solid engine, but the newer ones are higher compression and will bend valves if the timing belt breaks. Bit of a draw back but still better than having to deal with blown head gaskets on a 2.5.

You guys rock, thanks for getting back to me. Ok so while I was out I found a 98 Outback MT w/140k in good shape that I can pick up for $500 with blown HG's and I'm thinking of doing the 2.2 L swap on that one with a 2.2 from a 95 or 96 AT car.

Anyone swapped in a 2.2 L on a Phase 2 SoHC Forester? I heard the 99-01 Impreza 2.2's work but you need the y exhaust. Is that right?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61096 here is alot about ej22 swap in forester

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the links to the Headgasket replacement by Skip. I ended up getting that 98 OBW and am picking up a '95 2.2 from an auto trans this week to swap in. Trying to muster the courage to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but I don't want it to drag out...I also got a 98 Forester AT with a bad motor.

Should I swap in the 2.2 to the Forester or put in the 2.5 from the OBW after doing the HG?

Confusing I know, at least you guys know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I'd say that if you need a running car ASAP, the 2.2 into the '98 OBW 5MT would be the way to go, simply because installing an engine into an automatic vehicle is riskier if you're a neophyte. (i.e. you can damage the torque converter if it's not properly seated when you reinstall the engine.)

Well, if you had gone the other way (and ended up in Concord CA) I could have helped you with this, as I have done several of them, and have all the tools to do so. New Hapmshire, however, is a bit of a hike for me. . .

The EJ22 is a rock solid engine and while it can blow headgaskets, it takes a lot to make it do so. The EJ25 was much more prone to this, which was a problem that Subaru addressed by redesigning the headgaskets used in the first incarnation of this engine (the DOHC Phase 1).

This new Head Gasket you are talking about were designed by Kurt Alder

owner of AAA theshop Subaru repair (Anchorage, Alaska) a three years ago and Subaru started to sell a copy of Kurts redesigned head gasket. All the Subaru taxi cabs up north have been using them for the last couple of years with no problems, some taxi's with over 350K on them.

the "sealing ring" around the piston hole has been moved in. One thing you MUST do is set the values, when you are using the new gaskets.

Subaru started selling these gaskets 3/09 Subaru # 11044AA610A

101mm .045" MLS Gasket (Head) DOHC 16V 6*

They work. Have them on our # 2 Alaskan 98 OBW.