Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The fuel filter is a small canister with two steal connection tubes, one going in and the other out, located close (at least on my '99) to the right rear corner of windshield washer reservoir. Some say use pliers to twist it loose and off. I say good luck mine was on there like melted glue and it was tearing it apart to remove it, so, I found it easier to simply buy the new OEM rubber lines- in/out, and cut the old ones off. For the next soul that performs this service, I applied petroleum jelly to the ends of the connection lines before installing.

To replace the brake fluid..........pull off each road wheel, and bleed off the fluid in a catch bottle. I use a "one man" bleeder system. Hook up the bleeder, then press down on the brake pedal, pushes the fluid into the bottle. The bleeder system prevents air from being sucked back into the system. One man bleeders are available at Harbor Freight, and prolly at auto parts stores. It is pretty easy to do, just takes some time.