Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting stuck in gear

i have an 87 GL coupe. my car gets stuck in gear if i try to shift past 5.5k. i used to be able to shift at the redline but now i have to wait for it to rev down before i can shift. the clutch is pretty new... maybe 2k miles on it. my friend said i need to replace my clutch fork. is there something i can do that wouldnt require me pulling anything?

I meant to fix the problem, I'd stop shifting at redline, and call it good. I'm not judging you, I just don't find it absolutely necessary to shift a 90hp engine at 6 grand, when there is little to be gained by doing so.

Edited by mattquerio

I meant to fix the problem, I'd stop shifting at redline, and call it good. I'm not judging you, I just don't find it absolutely necessary to shift a 90hp engine at 6 grand, when there is little to be gained by doing so.

Just the opposite. The only way to get anything out of these motors is to rev the piss out em. If you constantly granny shift at 3-4 grand your missing the entire other powerband that these motors have. Not to mention hes not hurting anything.

Anyways...check your clutch cable before jumping to clutch fork. If you didnt re-adjust after putting the new clutch in it might not be quite right.

Edited by hatchsub

whenever you replace a clutch assy , wirebrush or likewise clean the splines on the tranny mainshaft and apply a " light " coat of moly grease . Make sure the disc slides easy on the mainshft . Put a shot in the pilot bushing or bearing . Lots of problems from the disc binding up and making for hard shifting . Been there .. done that .

May or may not be your problem but its a thought . Lots of times you can tell the disc is binding because when you try to shift into first from neutral at a stoplight its a *************** getting into 1st gear .

Maybe a cable ? adjustment ? ... sometimes you just have to go through process of elimination to find the culprit .

wring its neck .... Subaru's seem to like high revs for power :)

Bob