Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Subaru Legacy L Wagon 4WD Rattle

When I turn my car on I can hear a rattle, this rattle is present until I push the clutch in. Once the clutch is pushing in the noise is gone and the car sounds like it should. I have also noticed this rattle while driving and again once I push the clutch in it stops. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I just had this same problem on the 91 legacy I recently purchased. I found it was the rattle of the brake assist (which was disabled) cable end bolt against the clutch fork where the the clutch cable connects. Also the clutch cable was loose. I would try tightening the clutch cable first. Maybe just put a little pressure on the clutch fork with your hand while the engine is idling to see if that stops the noise...

I have this same rattle and I only hear it with the clutch petal pressed.. I'd have to check that but I need to find a friend to press the clutch in first :P

if it's the Throw out bearing no biggie gotta pull the motor anyways so more things I can get done the less I have to do later.