Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking for advice on what needs to be done to store my Outback until Spring.

I have a head gasket problem that I have neither the time, space, nor money to fix. So, I'm wondering what I need to do in order to protect the car from deteriorating while it sits outside all winter.

Just cover it, put it up on blocks, drain the fluids, etc.?

BTW, it has brand new oil/filter, and a full tank of gas.

I'd say that if it has a HG problem, you really should "fog" the engine cylinders with oil. If the coolant isn't completely drained and seeps into the combustion chambers, you could ruin the engine. (Yes, I know that the failure mode for these HG is combustion gasses>coolant, but under extended storage it's possible it could seep in the other direction.)

Nathan

I'd say that if it has a HG problem, you really should "fog" the engine cylinders with oil. If the coolant isn't completely drained and seeps into the combustion chambers, you could ruin the engine. (Yes, I know that the failure mode for these HG is combustion gasses>coolant, but under extended storage it's possible it could seep in the other direction.)

Nathan

"Fog" the cylinders? How does one do that?

Right now the coolant system is drained. I was preparing to run some of that steel seal stuff through the system and see if I could get the car working, but stopped after two water flushes based on advice received here at the forums.

"Fog" the cylinders? How does one do that?

Fogging the cylinders is a common term for prepping them for long term storage by coating them with a "fogging oil" usually introduced through the intake at some point, while the engine is running. The fogging prevents corrosion. It is standard practice for outboard motors, snow blower engines, lawn mower engines and motorcycles as well, any engine used seasonally and then stored for a long time. Used in conjunction with a gas treatment such as Sta-Bil etc.

Fogging the cylinders is a common term for prepping them for long term storage by coating them with a "fogging oil" usually introduced through the intake at some point, while the engine is running. The fogging prevents corrosion. It is standard practice for outboard motors, snow blower engines, lawn mower engines and motorcycles as well, any engine used seasonally and then stored for a long time. Used in conjunction with a gas treatment such as Sta-Bil etc.

+1 You can actually by a spray bottle of engine fog OR just squirt some oil in the cylinders and crank the engine over, dont let it start. Do this after putting stabil in the fuel and letting the car run for a bit to circulate it.

Put the car up on blocks to prevent flat spots in the tires. I have some concern of the car sitting that long with a bad hg that has contaminated coolant. It may clog the radiator with time (and then again may not).

If the battery is in good condition, put a small trickle charger on it or move it inside someplace warm to keep it happy. recharge the battery before using if it isnt being trickle charged.

Do not set the parking brake, the pads may rust to the rotors.

nipper