Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tensioner and Idler Replacement

Does anyone know why Subaru doesn't require idlers and tensioners to be replaced at the timing belt interval?

It would seem to me that if there's that big of a risk of either failing by 200k, they would require more than just a visual inspection.

I'm only asking because I'm getting quotes from two Subaru dealers. One tells me they only need to be inspected (including the waterpump), and another saying you MUST replace all idlers, and tensioner.

The price difference between the two dealers is $800....which is a pretty big carrot.

I know the consequences of a failed idler or tensioner, but not the failure rates.

This is many faceted including marketing, not just functional. They don't fail enough to warrant replacement and it would be discouraging price wise if that was required with the timing belt replacement. The loss of customers due to severe engine damage is worth more than the loss of customers due to high 100k maintenance costs.

That being said I use the ebay kits - much cheaper than Subaru. IF I use Subaru parts (sometimes I do) then I only replace those that need replacing.

That being said it is almost impossible to find any of the bearings to be "like new" condition. That doesn't mean they're near failure though and most *can* make another 100,000 miles. That's not very comforting to me with an interference engine or a car that has a lot of life/value in it.

Both of the dealers are right - price is a concern, not everyone views risk the same way. One will replace any suspect idlers, a good gesture. The other replaces them all, a better fit but not for folks wanting cheap.

Just make sure they "REALLY" inspect the pulleys, ask them about it because you expect another 100,000 miles. "Inspect" usually means a cursory glance...like no metal or parts hanging out - you want them actually spun by hand and checked.

Either option is good and I'd save the $800 if they'll let you use an Ebay kit (for the pulleys maybe, but doubtful) or actually spin test each pulley. Heck, tell them you want to see them first?

Yea, it seems if I want this job fully done, it's going to cost quite a bit more than a proper Tbelt job on my Honda. No wonder why they don't mandate it.

I do find it interesting, though, that one dealer says idler pulleys and tensioners go all the time, and the other says they've never seen a waterpump, idler, or tensioner, fail before the 210k interval.

Yea, it seems if I want this job fully done, it's going to cost quite a bit more than a proper Tbelt job on my Honda. No wonder why they don't mandate it.
there are ways to save cash but takes some planning. ebay kits or having a shop install new bearings instead of buying all new pulleys.

I do find it interesting, though, that one dealer says idler pulleys and tensioners go all the time, and the other says they've never seen a waterpump, idler, or tensioner, fail before the 210k interval.
the one that says they fail all the time is saving time, they need to communicate this often...but who wants a lesson in risk management, percentages, failure modes, etc,...that's very rare. much easier to lump it all together in a canned response. they figure someone that knows all that doesn't need them telling them what to do....like me, i dont give a rip what a dealer tells me. not that i agree with them always replacing them all, that's a lot. but it does save them from the customers that want to sue if an engine is damaged, believe me, that happens. :lol: so it's in part also CYA and protecting themselves from customers.

i know of a dealer that will not work on pre-EJ subaru's due to too many complaints and law suits. older, ill-maintained cars falling apart as they work on it, then they get blamed. probably somethign to do with lack of experience/knowledge on that old stuff too...but see, this stuff is dynamic, not black and white.

remember - Stupid rules come from stupid people!

as to the one saying they never fail prior to 200,000, that's definitely a stretch from the truth, there's examples on here of failures.

it is a low risk, but a costly one on interference engines.