Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pic Request: Loyale/GL Shifter

Hey guys, I have a special situation where I need to modify the shifter on my '91 Loyale (5mt push-button 4wd) due to a physical disability. I need to extend the shifter up approx 9" and back approx 6". In doing so, I fear the shift throw will be super long.

So, I'd like to install a Kartboy short shifter to decrease the throw. I asked Tom @ Kartboy to see if their shifter will work with the 5mt, but he needs a pic or two to confirm that it'll work/fit.

Does anyone have pics of the shifter without the boot??

TIA!

Ian

The shifter on the push-button 4WD is a bit different than those used on the EJ series transmissions. The 4WD shift assembly uses a "shelf" that contains the pivot point for the shifter as well as the D/R shift lever for the older non-pushbutton style transmissions.

If I were you, and wanted to use the kart-boy stuff, I would probably just switch over to the entire EJ shift linkage system. You would have to mount the rubber "sling" for the pivot rod but that wouldn't take a lot of fab work. Being that you don't need the shelf to mount the D/R lever to it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

GD

Cool, keep us updated on the project!!:banana:

I definitely will! I'm talking to a vendor on Nasioc to have a special extension made to my specs... :) I just need to find the time to take all of the measurements and tie up loose ends, so I can take the car home.

The laundry list is:

Shifter Extension

Shift Knob

Shift Boot (maybe)

Relocate 4WD button to dash using the cruise control button.

Install tilt steering column and swap ignitions.

Thoroughly clean the car and enjoy! :)

After the shifter extension is figured out the rest should be cake. I might install some Hella 500s while I'm at it!