Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Won't get out of 4wd

yorab

So I replaced all the bushings in my shift linkage and in the 4wd linkage today. What a difference that makes. I used to have to throw the stick all the way over to the passenger side to catch a higher gear. Now it's nice and tight. However, I took it for a spin and I can't get it out of 4wd. I ran out of time today, but I'll do an inspection tomorrow to try to figure out what's up. Does anybody have a good idea of what my be going on? Just to be clear, I completely disconnected the shift and 4wd linkages in order to replace the bushings. I'm not exactly sure how the linkage connection to the transfer case works, so I'm hoping that this may have happened to somebody before. Thanks.

You could check the vacuum lines for the 4WD actuator. I know on my 91 loyale the vacuum line became disconnected beside the passenger strut tower. As soon as I hooked it back up i was able to disengage 4WD. If thats not the case then I cannot offer any more help. Good luck

Thanks zagarus. I'll look at that tomorrow, though I doubt that's it because I wasn't near that area. But again, I'll look. I was thinking that something may have become disconnected near where the linkage enters the transfer case.

I looked under the shift boot and noticed that I had a bolt inserted backwards. The bolt head had a low profile but the threaded end and nut were much too long to allow the 4wd linkage to move. I posted pics on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmm741/sets/72157622733373513/. Thanks to all for the advice.

Rust in Peace is indeed a great album but I'm not sure if it is the best ever. It would be in my top 10 though. I always put Metal Church-Metal Church in the top three. Relatively unkown but awesome.