Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a quick answer on Oxygen Sensors

I want to get an order in tonight so a quick answer would be a great help.

I have a 98 OBW with auto transmission.

I ordered a oxygen sensor (goes into catalytic converter) the one i got has 3 pins but on the car once i disconnect it there are 4 pins on the connector to the car.

I am told by the parts place i ordered from there are two! the front has 3 and the back has 4 pins.

anyone confirm this?

I don't know where the front catalytic converter would be? any help?

the cat is towards the front of the car. It will have an o2 sensor before and after it. They are probably right, i think all OBD2 cars have two o2 sensors.

Yup, there is a listing for a front and back.

Sounds like you need the other one. But, how did you determine it was the o2 to begin with?

Edited by coldfusion21

It is mostly common for OBD II models to have two sensors. They are called "upstream" and "downstream", before and after the CAT.

One problem with replacing a defective one when they trip a code is that it's hard to determine which one is the offending sensor unless there's physical damage. Still, it's a good practice to replace both at the same time. When one goes bad, often the other is soon to follow anyway. I know they aren't cheap, but often there's little choice anyway.

One thing I'll always be an advocate of is shoping around online if you can get away with waiting a few days for any parts, especially pricey ones like these. The last time I bought them, I was also replacing a CAT. I saved mucho $$ shopping around online for the parts. I saved around $15 per sensor shopping for them. I saved $30 on two sensors and only paid $98 for a Magnaflow CAT. No, it wasn't a Soob, but it still would apply to these.

I still haven't figured out where the upstream (pre-Cat) Oxygen sensor is?

Does anyone have a picture or an illustration they could point me to or share? I am clueless on this.

I have replaced the downstream one before, but never the upstream one. thanks

i just replaced both of mine last week. the upstream one is in the front of the cat. i had to get at it from up top. i removed the intake housing (2 10mm bolts and 2 hose clamps) and was able to get at it from the back of the engine bay. the downstream one is in the center pipe near the resonator. this one was easy to get to from underneath the car, but was more rusted and tougher to break loose. after replacing both, the car ran so much better.

i do however recommend spending the extra 20 bux to buy the exact fit ones. universal ones at advance auto were 69 bux, exact fit were 90. they had the proper plugs on them and were ready to install. the universal ones were the same part number for both, because you have to splice the old plugs onto the new sensors. i figured since these see alot of abuse under the car ie snow, road debris, etc... id rather have a direct plug in, than several splices in wiring under the car.

particularly with these newer cars having 3 and 4 wire sensors the few extra dollars makes it nice to make sure it's all right. that being said, it's very simple splicing that can be done in your home/garage/wherever so it's very easy and quick if you're comfortable and have the supplies to do that stuff right.

Ok was under there this morning. I can't get the D*** special socket on the oxygen sensor because of that heat shield.

So i got out my 22mm open end wrench, but couldn't get enough torque on it. I am letting it soak overnight with Liquid Wrench and i will attack tomorrow. (almost time for Thanksgiving)

I have a Bosch Universal Oxygen Sensor and i think i feel comfortable with the splicing. (least of my problems) I am keeping the front Oxygen sensor and will do that too if i can get that off easily. (thanks for the tip about removing it)

My next concern is about the Y-Pipes (always something). I think i will make that a new thread.