Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom fenders

dughrt

I have decided to just cut the fenders rather than lift my 84 brat. So my question is has anyone ever took the time to weld and fab fenders with flares into them? Kind of like the offroad style fenders that they make for the ford rangers. More room and a larger opening. I have a 110 wire feed welder and fenders are only 30 bucks each at my local u-pull-it yard. I am hoping this has been done before so I can just copy it for mine. Please post picts if you have them. Thanks for all the help.

I had cut fenders, they were rusty before I cut them and it looked pretty junky with cut fenders. I noticed that early 90's chevy cavaliers had a decent fender flare at the front wheel wells, so I grabbed a couple bent fenders for free from my local yard, cut out the flare part of them and welded them in. They actually fit the contour of the fender pretty good. Some black paint and they looked like they belonged. Adds a lot of strength back to the fender that you loose when you cut the opening larger.

Half of cutting the fenders is pounding the base of the A pillar in where it comes into the wheel well. I had to pound the floor up too, so much that the clutch pedal looses a bit of the travel.

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=80