Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3at 4wd problems.

Marks ea81 sedan. When you push the 4wd button the light comes on and as soon as you let go of the button it comes all the way back out (normal?) and 4wd light goes off. Any trick to get it into 4wd? Just push the button? Doesn't work if I hold the button in either.

Any help appreciated. Then I could drive it into the garage.. otherwise I'll go get my chains out.

Hmmm. I thought I fixed that. It worked for me several times around the yard here.

When I first got the car,it wouldn't stay engaged at all. But,I found a thread on the Board here that explained how to disassemble the swithch and file a liitle brass pin so it was flat on the end. It worked. Well,at least it did.

I engaged the 4wd the day before you came to get the car. So,it won't engage at all?

Yup. A D/R 4-speed would be nice. (or do 5-speeds go into ea81s?). I just don't have money to put into this car. kindof buying it for a friend. Seems mostly like a connection problem. We'll see. ran good today. smoked less. I don't think she likes 30 weight oil when it's around 5*. {all gone now:)}

5 speed swap time!!

There's a thread here somewhere that outlines how to do a 5speed swap on that very car. Or,maybe it was the coupe version of it.The car seriously needs a 5speed. And,a dual range would be nice.

Honestly,I thought if you were going to have any trouble with the car on your way home,that it was going to be the 3at. Yeah,that 30w oil I got for free.I have a ton of it. I'm just looking to use it up. The oil and filter probably have about 20 miles on um. If that.

When I found the car,it had No PCV system on it at all. And,it looked like it had been that way for awhile. The one that is on there now is the one that GD is getting tired of explaining how to do. And,the PCV valve is new.

I guess we should have talked about some of this stuff before you left with the car.

Edited by markjw

DR 4 speed is a direct bolt in. DR 5 speed is almost a direct bolt in. Having never done it i forget what all is involved but its not that bad. GD will chim in soon i think since he has done it. The overwhelming majority has come to realize the DR 4 speed is a hunk of junk over time. 5 speed is a much better designed trans.

As for that thread you were talking about Mark i think that was mine...but mine is for converting from 3at to 5 speed 2wd. Most of it would be similar but not all.

When I press in the 4wd button the light comes on and there is a click sound (engine on or off) and when it is released (and comes all the way out) there is a buzz. So I take it my problem doesn't lie with the switch :eek: So that sucks. Although a 5sp would certainly be nice. I'm just not sure the engine warrants it as it had TOD very bad. And I really wasn't planning on keeping this car for too long... Where is the 4wd solenoid?? or whatever it is that actually signals the trans to go to 4wd.

Well. bad news. Defineately isn't the switch. took it apart and wired them together. light came on/stayed on. just fwd. put on some better tires and it made it into the garage... that's about it.

Is there any other simple problem this could be?? (Or is it probably the rear transfer clutch :mad:)

I guess I'm sortof in the market for a D/R or even single range 4wd tranny if it is the transfer clutch...:mad:

I have a 1990 loyale 4x4 with the 3at. Shortly after I purchased it the 4wd stopped working. The solenoid on mine seems to have stopped working. That solenoid apparently lets the tranny fluid pass into the rear of the tranny where the 4wd clutch pack is. The solenoid seems to be imposible to find. Im told that the kick down solenoid can be used with some mods to it. It is also possible that the clutch pack is bad. At any rate, it is a shame. The more I drive my car the better the 3at starts to work. Im currently looking at a 86 gl to replace my 90, or use it to do a dr 5spd swap.

Good luck

Mike