Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cluster swap

Morning all, I have a 88 dl with a basic cluster (speedo, fuel, coolant temp) I have a 88 gl cluster from a friend that has (oil & tach) is this a dirrect bolt on swap or do I need any sensors off his gl to make the gauges work. I think I read that the oil sensors are different between the gauge and idtiot light, if so can I just swap the sensors or is there a wiring issue that i need to deal with too?

thanks

The dashboard wiring is completely different.

I was able to install the body harness from an 89DL into my 88 GL & the GL dashboard plugged straight in & everything worked, including the central locking.

You could both clusters out & draw a diagram of where the pins on the back of the cluster differ so they can be changed.

You will need to add a tacho wire to the dash. RHD models run to the LHS side of the car to the negative side of the coil, which I know is still in the same place for LHD & RHD.

Low fuel light wire is also missing from at least the dash.

I think after 90, Subaru started making different looms for the different models to save model (there's a lot of extra wires in a GL).

Engine sensor is different, but after it is installed, you just unplug the oil wire & switch it. You will also need to remove the wire from the light & extend it so it reaches the cluster.

Warning: this is from experience with Japanese built RHD cars sold by Subaru Australia.

Thanks for the info. I tried yester day, the easy answer is no they do not swap. I found the 2 connectors that go into the 2 plugs on the top of the clusters a different, and the pins that go into the round connectors are not the same. But the speedo works (cable drive), so oh well at least i got a better dash bezel and a working defroster.

I am a bit supprised that their is not the wiring is the dash harness for the other trim/option levels. Most the modern cars have a universal dash/body harness.