Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyal runs bad above 2000 rpm

Hi all,

The neighbor's 93 Loyale 5 speed 4x4 wagon runs bad above 2 grand. It seems to run OK at idle (750), but when it gets above 2000 rpm, it seems like it misses. Just holding a steady throttle it coughs and shakes. I give it more throttle and the rev go up, but again at a steady throttle it runs pretty rough, even with no load.

What I've done so far:

Checked the plugs and wires. The plugs on the passenger side are much cleaner than the drivers side (looks lean). The plugs are pretty new NGK V something GR8. They are gapped at .035"". Pulled every wire while running, and it ran worse as every wire was pulled.

Took the end covers off the tbelt case and checked the timing marks on the flywheel with the marks on the cam sprockets. Both sides lined up as I turned the crank 360 from the three line on the flywheel.

Retimed the distributor, it was off far enough to not be able to see the timing marks with a timing light. I did have the green connectors connected to time it with the light.

Put a liter of ethanol in the gas tank.

Checked the codes in the ECU. I'm getting "5s".

Swapped the MAF with a known good one.

Swapped the coil with a known good one.

Swapped the throttle body with known good one.

Checked the green connector temp sensor with my DMM. 2615 ohms cold and 300 something warmer.

I also noticed orange RTV on the manifold/head joint.

I could swap in the temp sensor.

I did return all the "known good" parts to my loyale, and it still runs fine.

Any ideas?

Me again,

I also checked all of the vacuum lines that I found. I've plugged the line to the heater controls, checked the EGR diaphragm, checked the fuel regulator diaphragm, plugged the PCV port. The power brakes work, so I'm guessing the power brake booster diaphragm is intact.

Pat

Thanks, the filter looks new, but I know that means nothing. I do have another filter so I'll do that in the morning. I guess I'll just rip the distributor out of my car and put the whole mess in there, wires and all.

Is RTV on the intake manifold alright? Besides meaning someone has probably had the head or heads off?

Fuel pump? I've got an extra one of those also.

Pat

Fixed!

It was the distributor. After I took it out I could see someone had been in it before. The bearings seem fine, but the rubber good deal that goes around the top of dist is gone. I looked inside and could see fingerprints on the wheel.

Do all spfi distributors work? I don't suppose the carb ea82s use the same distributor?

Rock Auto seems to think the crank angle sensor (distributor pickup) is the same for pretty much all 86 to 94 DL, GL, GL 10, Loyale and XTs of various flavors. Maximas, Nissan Pickups, Sentras, Stanzas, Isuzu Trooper 88 to 91 and others. Different years of course, but that sure opens up the junk yard selection.

Anybody know different?