Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What gauge steel for bumpers

backcountrycrui

I'm thinking about bumpers:confused:. I dont have a tube bender, but I have access to a portable band saw. So instead of bending arount the front and back corners I think I will cut and weld the corners. Im torn between round tube and rectangular(?) tube. What diameter have most been running with round tube? And what gauge/thickness? Any ideas about rectangle tube? I would like to place a reciever and shackles on both the front and back. The recievers would be to mount a portable winch. 3000lbs single line pull plus a snatch block when needed.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Scott,

From the pic those look like they would be great mounts. Way better than what I had in mind. If I decide to go with 8th inch thick 3x5 rectangle tube could you make a set to fit that? What is the cost and shipping to 98323?

Thanks

Mike

yes I could do that , would it be 5" tall Im guessing not 3" tall

If you want it to be a solid part of the car you can get some 2x3" tube and use that for your mounts. At least on an EA81 it slips right into the holes in the unibody and if you make it the right length so it sticks through underneath you weld all the way around the outside. And anywhere you can get with the welder inside (under the car)

Pretty much makes the bumper part of the unibody. But you'll never remove the bumper again without cutting it off.

How I did mine and I've gotten too closse to stuff and taken rectangular chunks out of the landscape (trees, rocks) and the bumper stays solid. But that's just on the tight trails, :rolleyes: like the one out at TSF that's tight for a Sammi.

The one Scott posted is so simple and effective. Perfect. :)

on the front my bumper was installed with i think 1/8" flat in stock location with 3 bolts going all the way through the unibody into the engine compartment with another plate on the inside and tubing inside the the unibody frame it it won't crush when bolted up.

on the rear i have 2x2 inch square tubing i think its 1/8 inch thick going into the stock bumper mounting hole and did the same thing as the front, bolts running all the way through with 1/8" flat steel on either side of the stock unibody metal to sandwich everything together.

this may be overkill but i think it would be strong enough for anything, i know the front bumper is over kill but it was free and so was the mod and fabrication that was done to get them to fit. they we're originally on a full size ford bronco. i do admit that the front bumper is a little heavy for the car but works for now until i deside to make my own.