Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0400, P0115, P0420 codes

This is coming from second hand information from my brother whom drives my 1996 Subaru Wagon (auto with 160K) during the winters. He pulled the above codes from what he tells me when he starts the car the idle will move up and down and when he starts to drive the car will hesitate and at times shut off. I once had this issue with my 97 Outback wagon and it turned out to be the MAF sensor, but I am perplexed at all the codes that this Subaru is throwing out. Any thoughts on what to check first? Thanks in advance!

Clear the codes and let us know what comes back.

Car is due for an O2 sensor so 420 is a real possability.

400 is an egr circuit code

115 is an engine temp sensor code.

nipper

First let me say that it is was a day like today that makes me love these cars, 14+ inches of snow in Queens, NY and my Soobie had no problem getting out of a parking spot buried in 3 feet of snow as a result of the plowers plowing the streets. I cleared the codes this morning and took the car for a joy ride in the unplowed streets and parking lots. About 90 miles later:), the check engine light comes back and I get codes P0400 and P0420, the car was still driving fine,no shaking or hesitation. Any thoughts? Perhaps o2 sensor? Are there more than 1 on this car? (1996 legacy wagon).

There are two sensors, one front one rear. Most likely its the front one (which should be OE and not aftermarket). The 400 i get too, just am waiting till spring to trouble shoot it.

Or to go to a junkyard and just replace the one of two parts it may be.

nipper