Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IDing trannys??

esteveW

I have located a couple Subaru "donors" in the local wrecking yard. I'm going back later (when it's not raining) and see what model they are. They are still in the cars so I can probably get some info from the VIN numbers or??

Is there any other way to verify the model of the tranny??

Steve

Thanks.

I have been doing some other reading/research on tranny models on this forum and understand that the XT6 model would be the prefered for street use (my intentions). I also read that it was available MY '88 and '89. Just checking my info and understanding.

Now, being a Soobie-Newbie, I need to ask if this tranny is FT or 4WD and would it be too much to expect that it be D/R??

I plan on using my Gen1 Brat for street but need to be ready for snow and ice. Not planning on rock climbing or mud plowing. I might do a minor lift to make the EJ22 and tranny swap easier.

I guess, what I'm looking for is good mileage everyday and traction in winter.

Any comments (or corrections on my terms and assumptions) welcome.

Steve

stock XT6 trans is FT4WD single-range (but, with the 3.9 axle ratio, 1st gear is only a bit taller than 1st low in a 3.7 RX trans, and you have the .780 5th instead of the .871 in the turbos). XT6s were made through '91 or '92.

if you're just looking for street mileage and traction, get a PT4WD trans. with a 2WD setting, it'll get great mileage (like, 30+ highway), and you'll still have 4WD for the snow. But, you might find FWD + Ea82 suspension + EJ torque = wheelspin.

for street mileage and traction, get a PT4WD trans. with a 2WD setting, it'll get great mileage (like, 30+ highway), and you'll still have 4WD for the snow. But, you might find FWD + Ea82 suspension + EJ torque = wheelspin.

The PT4WD you mention here is basically what my old Gen1 Brat has now and the only problem I have with that is lack of D/R and the lack of compatability with the EJ22 swap. Not to mention the very poor reputation of the OEM Gen1 Brat tranny. Mine show all of these problems, although it is still driveable.

Thanks for the informative reply.

Steve

Ok, I'm back from the junkyard and have found 3 prospects out of 5 they had. (1 was AT, 1 was 2WD).

1) mfg date 07/88 5 spd 4wd DR. 342k miles, engine and axles still in the car. Couldn't count the splins. I think it was NA engine. I couldn't find the tranny label but did get the VIN = JF2AN53BXKE408495.

2) mfg date 10/89 5 spd AWD, 350k miles, engine and axles still in car and again I couldn't count the splins. the engine was NA. Tranny label was TY752VA1AA. The TY tells me it is FT AWD. The VIN was JF2BJ63C8LG937240.

3) mfg date 02/88 5 spd 4wd DR. 235k miles. No label on tanny and axles couldn't get under car to count splines. I believe it was NA as well. VIN was JF2AC53B4JE219886

I'm not sure which way to go. The price is going to be the same for either of the three. It looks like the numbers on tranny #2 is the same as the example in Numchux provided. It has the most miles however, if that were a factor.

I'm thinking I might like the DR since it seem that feature would be to some advantage since most of my driving will be on street and the low gearing would get me out of some steep driveway situation. (if I can keep all the wheels from slipping, as someone suggested).

Opinions??

Steve

BTW: this yard will sell any of these for $125 plus S/H if they pull them. I have a special arrangement with them since I do a lot of business with them throu my repair shop. I my case I would pull it myself and get the axles, cross member, drive shaft and shifter.

I found a site with more help in translating the tranny number. http://legacycentral.org/library/transmission/intro.htm

More helpful than most.

I have cracked the code on my #2 that I mentioned previously:

TY752VA1AA

T= TRANSMISSION (dah)

Y= 4WD MT

75 = DISTANCE BETWEEN GEARS (?)

2= SERIES CODE

V= FULL TIME 4WD

A=2200cc

1=1900 yr

AA= meaningless

I want to go back with some engine cleaner and brush and see if I can find the tranny number on the other two. I'll also verfy if they are turbo or NA.

Steve

If you are gonna use this for street and want AWD an an EJ, the best and easiest option will be the TY Legacy trans. It is already an EJ trans and will bolt straight ot the EJ motor. Stock clutch and flywheel. simpler shift linkage. t shopuld be a 4.11 final gear, so get the rear end out of the same car, it will bolt right into your brat. You could even get your whole EJ wiring harness form the smae car. At least cut the body side of the connectors for the nuetral switch, reverse switch etc.....

The other 2, you'll need adapter plates, a redrilled flywheel. And one may not have a nuetral switch for the FI swap.

I have been thinking of this but the donor car was a 2wd AT and is no longer available. However, I did get the complete wiring harness, eng. compartment and every thing from under the dash including the cruise control. Originally I was going to put this Legacy in a VW Vanagon. Lost interest in that and both the engine and Vanagon are just sitting here.

I'm going to ask: What is wrong with using the DR 5 spd, of what I have listed?? Wouldn't the mileage be better in street/hwy use since the rear wheels are disengaged??

My hwy car/daily driver has been front wheel drive for almost 20 years and never had any problem. Right now I drive GEO Metro's (have about 8) and the 5 spd 2dr hatch back will get me 50 mpg on the long trips, even at speeds up to 70mph. That is without any extra passenger or heavy load. If loaded or if I take an AT or 4 door, I drop to around 40 mpg.

For a work truck I have an old 88 S10 4wd DR28L that gets around 24 mpg but it now has about 200k and never had the engine rebuilt or valve job. I just don't want to pull that engine, Did it once to put in a clutch and never again.

The Brat now has a working 1.6L engine 4X4 and that would be OK for my daily driver. I would miss the DR when pulling out of a bad spot-steep driveway with a load. I should just restore all the off engine hoses, wires and components and go with that for awhile. However, the 4 spd tranny is as loose as a goose. Hard to fine the gates and I haven't driven it on the street yet to see if all the gears and sychros are still there. Just low and reverse is all I have used. (can't really tell which gear it is going into. The transfer case work

I guess my question would be or recommendation: Fix/replace the old tranny and drive this one a while ooor save my money and time and swap the EJ22 in with one of the trannys I have found.

I would like to hear from some who have gone with the D/R . Particularly, those who use their Soob for daily street purposes, with infrequent need of the 4WD. Most everyone, so far has had experience the FT 4WD 5 spd.

I live in western Washington state and I have both the S10 4WD and a F150 4WD. In most winters, I just don't go out if there is heavy snow or ice. But if I do I might use my 4WD 50 miles a year or 2 days. Other times, when I'm hauling my tandom axle trailer or vehicule dolly I might use the 4WD for a couple hundred feet when on soft ground or slick grass or steep driveway DR is handy.

I guess the DR in the Brat would be of more use to me than the actual 4X4, or maybe both in combination.

I think I'm convincing myself that I want the DR for the sake of having the low range..

Sorry, I have been rambling.. That happen when you get old and no wife to debate things with.

Steve

So far, I have checked a half dozen trannys and only one had a readable Model label on the bell housing. Most were missing all together. I could see where they had been.

Only one had a engine compartment label plate. It was on the left (drive) side strut tower.

Recenty, I have been just observing the engine type ea81 or ea82, turbo or non turbo. I couldn't tell much about the actual gearing. However, since I'm not off roading, what ever the donor vehicle was intended for is my only guide.

I've learned and still learning a lot.

Steve