Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej tranny swap?

Is there any compiled information about a full EJ driveline swap into EA82 cars? I've got a 3 door coupe that would love some more pep and I want its dual range for my wagon.

I know ive gotta use a XT6 rear trans crossmember, wrx front trans crossmember. Shorten driveshaft 55mm (is this the case if im using the new rear end or the old one?). And the front knuckles get swapped for the ej ones so I can use the 25spline axles and gain 5 bolt as well correct?

I'd love some pointers anywho... I hate learning the hard way.

Edited by Dantes Inferno

XT6 front and rear xmember, EJ center (I'm using one from a '96 legacy).

I shortened my driveshaft 2". worked great.

knuckles and transmission are separate projects. you can go 5-lug with an EA transmission, and you can grab 25-spline 4-lug axles from a turbo Ea82.

a bunch of that is covered in my Ea2ej writeup.

XT6 front and rear xmember, EJ center (I'm using one from a '96 legacy).

I shortened my driveshaft 2". worked great.

knuckles and transmission are separate projects. you can go 5-lug with an EA transmission, and you can grab 25-spline 4-lug axles from a turbo Ea82.

a bunch of that is covered in my Ea2ej writeup.

Thanks alot, yes your write up is my bible. Im gonna do the trans at the same time I do the engine, only makes sense.

So with the EA82T hubs and ej trans I can use ea82T 25spine axles and they will fit? Nice. Also, you shortened your driveshaft 2". What rear end did you use, the stock ea82 or did you use a newer one?

EA82 hubs are all the same. since I don't know what car you have....I don't know what you're thinking of running. but yea, if you have 25 spline stubs in your transmission, EA82t axles will work just fine.

the axle ratio in my transmission is 4.111, so I used a 4.111 rear diff out of a '94 legacy. But they're the same. the Ej mounts are different, but the Ea82 hanger is a direct swap onto an EJ diff.

EA82 hubs are all the same. since I don't know what car you have....I don't know what you're thinking of running. but yea, if you have 25 spline stubs in your transmission, EA82t axles will work just fine.

the axle ratio in my transmission is 4.111, so I used a 4.111 rear diff out of a '94 legacy. But they're the same. the Ej mounts are different, but the Ea82 hanger is a direct swap onto an EJ diff.

Thanks, clears up some questions.

Hopefully I get a shop space soon enough. Its a 87 3 door gl.