Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 sub/leg/wag, 2.2L....brakes...?

Guess I am confused..........isn't the shoe suppose to rub when the pedal is applied?

The "star" wheel, is where tightness is adjusted.

E-brake cable rusts inside the tubular housing is what I have observed as the reason the e-brake freezes.

I replaced the cable on a VW some time back with brake shoes, it was difficult job requiring a lot of cussing during the process of hooking up the cable. It required a lot of cable stretching, but it can be done as a one man job.

Guess I am confused..........isn't the shoe suppose to rub when the pedal is applied?

yes, but it is rubbing un evenly. More like a scrape-scrape-scrape..

I adjusted the star wheel at time of install. It felt like it had the proper drag on the drum before I put the wheel/tire back on. I don't get why it is doing this.

The E-Brakes are attached to a Tee under the center counsel. With one attached, it can effect the brakes as the cable is attached while the other one is cut.

Did you remove the cut cable and lever? If not it may be the source of your noise.

The E-Brakes are attached to a Tee under the center counsel. With one attached, it can effect the brakes as the cable is attached while the other one is cut.

Did you remove the cut cable and lever? If not it may be the source of your noise.

I disconnectd the left side e-brake cable from the shoe inside the drum. The right side is still attatched. hhhmmmm.:-\