Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1996 Legacy GT Wagon 2.5L with the TZ102Z2AAA transmission that is currently bad. I recently picked up a trans from a 95 Outback trans code TZ102ZAAAA and told it would work. Everything plugged in and lined up. I switch the torque converters because the original one was bigger. Tomorrow I still need to install an alternator to get it going. I'm just having second thoughts that the trans won't work. I havn't started the car and drove it since installing the new trans. I recently read the gear ratio could be different and the TCU may not work with the trans. Where can I find my stock gear ratio and the gear ratio on the trans I just installed?

I have a 1996 Legacy GT Wagon 2.5L with the TZ102Z2AAA transmission that is currently bad. I recently picked up a trans from a 95 Outback trans code TZ102ZAAAA and told it would work. Everything plugged in and lined up. I switch the torque converters because the original one was bigger. Tomorrow I still need to install an alternator to get it going. I'm just having second thoughts that the trans won't work. I havn't started the car and drove it since installing the new trans. I recently read the gear ratio could be different and the TCU may not work with the trans. Where can I find my stock gear ratio and the gear ratio on the trans I just installed?

the GT TZ102Z2AAA has a 4.44 final drive and the legacy TZ102ZAAAA has a 4.11 final drive ratio. you need the matching rear diff. where did you get the trans?

otherwise it will work just fine. don't worry about the TCU.

what was wrong with the original trans?

I was told replacement trans was from a 95 Legacy Outback and it would work.

Original trans was towed in neutral for 200 miles. I was told it would move the car but slip really bad. The car did move a bit but the shifter was really hard to move in and out of gear.

So it looks like I need to find a 4.11 rear end. Would this effect the speedo too?

the speedo gears are mounted on the front diff carrier assembly and turn the same as the front passenger side axle. i have heard that the speedo ring gear can be swapped from the out side without cracking the case.

i would go to the guy you got the trans from and get some money back for the cost of the diff or maybe he has the actual one that was with the trans for free. he helped get you in this mess.

Edited by johnceggleston

I'm not really worried yet about getting my money back I only paid $200 for the trans. I'm picking up a VLSD from an auto WRX for a really good price so hopefully this all works out well. Thanks for the info everyone this site has been the most helpfull out of all the Subaru forums I have been to yet.