Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Lake run January 17th or 24th???

cmiller

Got a new Hi-lift jack and tow strap w/ shackles yesterday! Can't wait for the dunes!

Planning on doing something spectacular out there? :lol:

Good stuff to have for the sand all joking aside. :)

Remember, if the jack needs using on the sand you'll need a base for it that won't just sink. I know they make soft terrain bases for them but a chunk of 2x12 usually works well too.

I carry a piece so we should be all set. :)

I just ordered new shocks. I'll pick 'em up in the morning and put 'em on tomarrow night.

With those and if the back end of the dunes are blown just right... Maybe I'll jump it. :grin:

Sand Lake is my "let er rip!" spot. Blow out those new shocks. :lol:

(Maybe. Have the last few times I've been out there but man the landings if you don't make the downside of the dune just right.....)

I'm getting a giddy for sunday. :banana: hehe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got my front bumper bout done! its sweet im stoked! then rear bumper and (knock-off) flowmaster..... the straight cherry bomb sound is played out for me, sounds like a flippin jake brake when i'm goin down long hills, i'm sure my neighbors have had about enough of me rollin by at 1 am doin bout 50mph at about 5500rpms!!!

I just ordered new shocks. I'll pick 'em up in the morning and put 'em on tomarrow night.

With those and if the back end of the dunes are blown just right... Maybe I'll jump it. :grin:

Sand Lake is my "let er rip!" spot. Blow out those new shocks. :lol:

(Maybe. Have the last few times I've been out there but man the landings if you don't make the downside of the dune just right.....)

I'm getting a giddy for sunday. :banana: hehe

I just got new front struts, wagon springs, radius arm bushings...so no more sagging hatch...after the ej swap my tires rubbed in tight corners...

just buttoning up odds/ends..:banana:

Not nearly as cool as a CB but does anyone use those 2 way radios anymore? I have a couple of those and wouldnt mind carrying one or loaning one out so i can call for backup if needed.

Compressor for filling back up for the ride home i assume? what about one of those portable air tanks (or something of that nature?)

Have a couple straps and such and can grab some random lumber and a shovel.

First time out on the dunes soooo it should be interesting.

Yes air will be needed. There is a hose at the gas station but you have to drive a couple miles to get to it.

Don't use the 2ways very much anymore. Could always bring 'em and lend one to another that does not have a CB, that way ya can at least have some communication. :)

As for me. I put on my new shocks and realized that that rear wheel bearing is more sloppy than I thought...... I'll proly just use a needle grease gun to get this run out of it. Don't think I'll find new bearings for an old GL locally in time to have them in for the run anyway. (plus they are $$$$$$$$$$, though I found them online for cheap)

So it looks like a few of us are still working on our Soobs so we can go! :lol:

I'll be there. Drove a dodge stratus from Iowa to Detroit once and all the rollers in one front wheel bearing were GONE, I mean fine dust, it was axle shaft in steering knuckle. That was a loud, crunchy, wobbly ride. But the girl who's car it was said to keep going, didn't want to pay for a tow.

So going to Sand Lake on a slightly sloppy bearing would not be the stupidest thing I've done..... :rolleyes:

well, i hate to say this but it looks like i'm out for this trip and i hate making this decision just because of the group of soobies that are going. looks like this is going to be a great group to go hang out on the dunes with but i don't have a choice right now. i haven't been able to get my car ready even though all i need to do is put on my new tags, the seats i got from cmiller and install my cb radio.

but, the main reason for me not being able to make this trip is because i need to get serious about my move out to estacada. i have alot to do before the end of next month and because of my work schedule i don't get much time to move. so i should be all done by late february to make the next trip.

As for me. I put on my new shocks and realized that that rear wheel bearing is more sloppy than I thought...... I'll proly just use a needle grease gun to get this run out of it. Don't think I'll find new bearings for an old GL locally in time to have them in for the run anyway. (plus they are $$$$$$$$$$, though I found them online for cheap)

jason, the bearing aren't hard to get any part store should be able to get them with in a day if they don't have them in stock. i can't remember how much they cost though.

well, i hate to say this but it looks like i'm out for this trip

jason, the bearing aren't hard to get any part store should be able to get them with in a day if they don't have them in stock. i can't remember how much they cost though.

Aww that sucks. the move is important though.

Yeah the EA81 uses the big one piece cartridge bearing in the back. Like $75-$100 or so everwhere I've found and no one has them.

I did find them on Rock Auto for like $30 each though. :)

Still need to get to the bank so I can put the money in (I mainly only deal in cash these days so the account is always empty) and order them.

New muffler, check! Bumpers are soooo close to bein done I'm not sure if theyll be painted but the welding will be 100% (gotta look good, this is my usmb debut!). Gotta cheesy cb with a magnet antennae to stay connected. Just gotta mount my flag an I'm set. 1 more day! Sorry to those who can't make it I'm thinkin it's gonna be a blast.

I'm pretty much ready. Just gotta pack stuff up for my little camping adventure out there. May be crazy, but I find it fun to camp out on the sand in the rain and wind. :grin: Or at least I think I do........

Don't know when I'll head out of here and show up out there tomarrow. I'm pretty much making this weekend up as I go along. :D

But I'll be trying to meet up with you guys Sunday.

I'll have the CB on 22 as well.

If I don't show at the gas station I'll have made camp at the north end of the dunes at the Derrick road campground or whatever it's called. (link to the FS site for it a few of my posts back.)

So you guys can come wake my sleeping in (proly hungover from drinking alone in the dark after the midnight vehicles off the sand cerfew) butt up. :lol::drunk:

Just pull up to my Soob and rev up those EJ's!

New muffler, check! Bumpers are soooo close to bein done I'm not sure if theyll be painted but the welding will be 100% (gotta look good, this is my usmb debut!). Gotta cheesy cb with a magnet antennae to stay connected. Just gotta mount my flag an I'm set. 1 more day! Sorry to those who can't make it I'm thinkin it's gonna be a blast.

Good to see you coming. Excited to meet new people on the USMB!

Smoked my clutch. Nothing left.

Had to get a ride home with 4Tes in his Legacy.

Left the car at the Park hosts' parking spot (He was really nice and promised not to let anyone mess with it, htough he wants me to get it quickly.)

So now I am gonna fire up the diesel Ford and go tow it home, hopefully.

Anyone got a decent EA81 4spd D/R clutch disc?

Despite the constant rain we had a great time and an awesome turn out! We practically had the place to our selves. I think we had 10 different rigs to start with, then attrition began. But despite the mechanicals I saw a lot of big grins!:grin: It was cool to see the variety of vehicles that came out. Good times of kicking tires and popping hoods, pulling each other out of the soft stuff, running through the tight tree trails, and cruising over the huge rollers! Thanks everyone for coming out and tearing it up with us! We'll do it again soon!:brow: BTW, the completely stock EA71 Brat with tiny tires rocked it!

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2059

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2058

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2055

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2057

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2062

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2061

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2060

picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=2056

I saw a lot of good picture taking so if you have some please share here. :)

Edited by cmiller