Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so has aney one used the copper head gaskets?

ni i can not haz uzed cpper hed gaskitz but i red another post asking the same ??????

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107241&highlight=copper

u do knoe dat u R axing the same fokes the same questions on teh same bOHrd?

I wish i can has hailp u but mai tipe ing an spellingz be not good enuff.

here, hear, there, their, they're, your, you're

HAI lol wut lol ZomgZ rofloftercopter trashwagon boi

ni i can not haz uzed cpper hed gaskitz but i red another post asking the same ??????

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107241&highlight=copper

u do knoe dat u R axing the same fokes the same questions on teh same bOHrd?

I wish i can has hailp u but mai tipe ing an spellingz be not good enuff.

here, hear, there, their, they're, your, you're

HAI lol wut lol ZomgZ rofloftercopter trashwagon boi

Exactly what I was thinking!

sorry to be rude but your answers were in the other posts.

so...

i would say go ahead and use them. see how they do and report back. that is how the wonderful knowledge is accumulated here. i guess you cant go wrong except for a few extra $$$

good luck:) sorry to run you off like that, just follow the rule of stupid questions get stupid answers.

BUT there is no such thing as a stupid question, just how you ask is all.

afterall, this isn't NASIOC:grin: have fun

go visit NASIOC or any other forum (doesn't even have to be subaru) - google it - all you need is copper head gasket info, there's nothing special about subaru motors...particularly EA82's. just keep in mind aluminum block and heads and you're golden. i'll steal a GD line - this isn't a NASA bird, it's an EA82.

i don't think there's too much EA copper head gasket experience here.

did you try a search?

miles - you're funny - how long did it take you to write that?

did you try a search?
okay actually i did some leg work for you. look at the bottom left hand of the screen right now, scroll all the way to the bottom without clicking anything - this forum does an automatic search for you based on the thread title - showing similar threads. looks like there's some copper head gasket info out there - including someone that has tried it 3 times (i didn't read through the post though):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50993

miles - you're funny - how long did it take you to write that?

I had to think real hard on how to write like that.

i swear the current generation is learning how to read and spell from the internet before they learn how to in school, and with the internet being as random as it is, no one knows what to compare to, or what is really proper context.

Did you see my broken subaru over hear? Its so loud you can here it coming a mile away. i think it's muffler fell off. There not going to like it over their in they're driveway. Your going to be sorry if you see it, it will make you're eyes bleed!

Did you see my broken subaru over hear? Its so loud you can here it coming a mile away. i think it's muffler fell off. There not going to like it over their in they're driveway. Your going to be sorry if you see it, it will make you're eyes bleed!

DOOD - slow down, that's amazing! I'm working in the office, please don't do this to me Miles!!! :lol:

Wut elts u expek us 2 learn in skoo We knt all B geenieuss lyk U

I manufacture copper head gaskets for air cooled engines, not Subaru's though.

The benefits for a air cooled engine are great. Promoting heat transfer from the head to the cylinder and lowering the head temp helps prevent detonation. Copper head gaskets are virtually blow proof as well. They will any boost or abuse you can give them. Depending on your application they can also be reused but I don't recommend it after long term use without disassembly. Not because they won't take it but because the typically get damaged during removal.

In a water cooled engine the heat transfer properties are less important. Not being familiar with the engine/head design of the Subaru engine, head gasket thickness could also be a factor. Copper gaskets come in a variety of thicknesses.

If you do use a copper head gasket a copper gasket spray makes them much more forgiving to install and seal. A copper gasket does not compress like a regular gasket so the surfaces should be flat to each other. Minor imperfections are easily made up for with the gasket spray.

Not all copper gasket sprays are equal. I did exhaustive testing on all available copper gasket sprays. Trust me when I say ONLY use Loctite brand "Copper Gasket Adhesive" Part number 30535.

Permatex brand copper gasket spray used to be made by Loctite. If you have old cans made before 1999 and they say Loctite on the can, it is the same stuff I mention above. Loctite sold the name but not the formula in 1999 (as best I can tell), the new Permatex spray is basically the same as gold spray paint IMO.

Do you think it will make a difference in the temp of the head in a water cooled engine?

It is possible that it will help a little but the primary cooling method in a water cooled engine is obviously the water. Since the water usually flows around the cylinders and the head via passages, I doubt the added heat transfer via the metal contact will be significant. In an air cooled design it is adventagous to disipate heat anyway you can.

If you put temp a sensor on the block near the head gasket surface and a matching temp sensor on the head at the same location, and the temps were significantly different then I would guess the heat transfer through the copper gasket would make a difference. Various areas would have to be tested but it would not be that difficult to do with a simple type J or K heat probe or even an infared temp gun.