Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for opinion/ideas on potential new wrx project

So my buddy has a fun little 2002 wrx automatic. I told him if he ever wants to sel it let me know because my wife would LOVE to have an auto to drive instead of my OBS. He called me today to tell me he would sell my the car for $1500 due to the current bent rod in the engine :-\ If I could find another EJ205 turbo engine and just drop it that would be sublime. But I am wondering about other engines and what works with wiring and ecu etc. I kind of live in my own world of EJ22 because thats whats in the brat and obs, and as far as re-building engines.... I don't have time/money/patience from my wife to do that :grin: I guess what I am asking is how difficult/costly would it be to rebuild the engine and fix the problem (I know the shop quotes were from $5k-$7k) or are there other turbo motors that would fit, or could a newer model 2.5 fit in without loads of wiring (wiring the ej into the brat was enough for me thanks). There is a 2007 ej25 from a legacy for $1200 locally. I just want a nice reliable car for the wife to take to school that can still power past people on up the canyons :banana: And if anyone is still reading by this point... Thanks! Any info is appreciated. I will continue my lurking for now. :)