Ultimate Subaru Message Board

May have a broken valve!

I picked up this ea82, '87, NA, carbed yesterday. Had been abandon and hadn't been run for a few years. "Supposed" to have been running when parked. Surprisingly low 137K miles for the year.

No keys, no battery of course and someone had stolen the distributor.

This morning, before setting ouit to find a junk yard distributor, I thought I should try and "Wrench" it over to see if it was frozen. I was going to squrt some oil in the cyilinders and noticed that the right bank spark plugs were removed (gone). Pulled the left and found them normal, now oil, nice tan and not rust or evidence in any cylinder of water.

I got a socket and ratchet on the pulley nut and was able to get it to turn but it stopped after about 350 degrees. It was a solid feel and I didn't force it. I then turned it CCW and found the same in that direction.

I just came in to research and verify if this engine was a non-interferance engine and being a ea82, I'm given to understand this is true.

I haven't pulled the timing belt covers yet but even if one was broken the valves wouldn't hit the pistons and I wouldn't be able to turn it nearly 360 degrees.

I think I should try a wire probe into each cylinder and see if I'm getting full travel on each piston. Could be a broken rod...

I really don't want to spend too much time on this engine since I got the car for the 5spd DR tanny and drive train for my Brat (ej22 swap). I just thought I should determine the engine condition while it was still in the car.

Comments and opinions welcome

Steve

I think I should try a wire probe into each cylinder and see if I'm getting full travel on each piston. Could be a broken rod...

I think my second guess might be correct. I couldn't detect any movement on #1 cylinder. I poked a stiff wire down each spark plug hole to detect when each piston came up to TDC. #2,3 & 4 seemed to move but nothing on #1.

It started raining so "I threw in the towel", so to speak.

No sense pulling the pan, there is definately something broken so I will haul it up on my trailer and begin the stripping and parting out process.

I'll post a list of all the goodies soon. I'm only in it for the tranny and drive train.

Steve

Yes, sounds like a broken belt if you are not getting movement from the pistons on one side. Doesn't mean the motor is bad. Just means it has a broken belt. There may be water in a cylinder as well. Did you notice any when you rotated 350 degrees?