Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4sp to 5sp tranny swap,parts list

BLUE84GLWAGON

I HAVE A 84 GL 4X4 WAGON, 4 SP MANUAL, I need to now which cars have the 5sps available for my swap,and all i need to gather? texas is scarce of older subaru`s but i`ve stumbled upon a few in one wrecking yard and its a small one and i think he might be fixing to crush them . i dont know my way around the board much yet but i know you guys have the answers thanks for your expertise.

easiest way is to have an entire car. often that's cheaper if you can find a wrecked one too as they really aren't worth anything. i've been offered more free subaru's than i can recall - probably 5 at least. granted you have fewer down there, but worth a shot.

as for parts list i'm sure it's been covered before. trans, trans mounts, pedal assembly, shifter and linkage, clutch cable, center console stuff, driveshaft (different length).

i'm not familiar with this older stuff but on some models it's nice to have a matching instrument cluster (without the park, drive, neatral, etc), then that might give you rpm's too if you don't already have it...but again i don't know subaru's this old.

same goes with any 4WD solenoids/hoses/lines if equipped.

I have done this to my brat. You will need the 5 spd. tranny single or dual range doesnt matter. You will need the flywheel and clutch disk from the 5 spd. You will also need the mounts (will has to combined the old to the new, hold them up and you will see the differance). You will need the 2 piece drive line from the 5 spd. car (unless you are putting it in a 2 door hatch then your 1 piece driveline will work. Also will need the center consol due to the 4wd lever will change the way it enters the trans tunnel. You will also have to shave down the the lower part of the block where the inspection plate bolts up. It hits the flywheel. If you want to get miticulous you will also need the plug for the tranny and have to cut and splice your harness so your reverse, 4wd low range lights all work. If you have any other questions feel to ask.

5 speed D/R came in 1985 to 1989 non-turbo GL wagons, sedans, and 3-door coupes. Brat and hatchback were still 4 speed's till the end of production. Loyale's (90 and up) dropped the D/R - they are all push-button single range cars.

Obviously it has to be the right GL - some were automatic's, and turbo's often had the push-button. You don't want a turbo dual-range as the low range is only 1.19:1 vs the non-turbo D/R low ratio of 1.59:1.

GD