Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reliable quick oil change operators

It all turned out right in the end, but it was funny that it happenned at all:

I was busy, and it's cold, so I took my 2008 Forester and Nihon filter and went to the quick oil change place. No problem, $3 discount for using my filter. They proceeded.

How about tire rotation? Sure, $12, they said. SOLD, said I. When they were finished with oil change, pull into the next bay, put it on the lift.

Started car, put in gear. Uh, wait. Hesitation to engage. WTF. Maybe me. Stop, start again, nope, something wrong. Pulled into bay.

"Did you put that drop of red paint on the drain plug?" I asked. "Yes."

"That's the transmission." said I.

I pointed out the sump plug and engine oil filter.

They had drained the tranny and replaced the tranny oil filter, I guess because they appear obvious and prominent when under the car. The engine plug and filter are much more hidden.

Engine oil filter is same as tranny oil filter on this car.

They grovelled around straightening things out. Tranny fill, Proper engine oil change, tire rotation.

So after all the fright, they gave me a bunch of discounts and the whole thing cost me less than $30. A little sweat, but they were kids and I was nice and they learned a little about subus.

It all turned out right in the end, but it was funny that it happenned at all:

I was busy, and it's cold, so I took my 2008 Forester and Nihon filter and went to the quick oil change place. No problem, $3 discount for using my filter. They proceeded.

How about tire rotation? Sure, $12, they said. SOLD, said I. When they were finished with oil change, pull into the next bay, put it on the lift.

Started car, put in gear. Uh, wait. Hesitation to engage. WTF. Maybe me. Stop, start again, nope, something wrong. Pulled into bay.

"Did you put that drop of red paint on the drain plug?" I asked. "Yes."

"That's the transmission." said I.

I pointed out the sump plug and engine oil filter.

They had drained the tranny and replaced the tranny oil filter, I guess because they appear obvious and prominent when under the car. The engine plug and filter are much more hidden.

Engine oil filter is same as tranny oil filter on this car.

They grovelled around straightening things out. Tranny fill, Proper engine oil change, tire rotation.

So after all the fright, they gave me a bunch of discounts and the whole thing cost me less than $30. A little sweat, but they were kids and I was nice and they learned a little about subus.

Amazing...Ive seen this many times before where people go to walmart and get there "oil" changed...I cant believe they made that mistake...I believe on the 08 Forester they have a little plastic cover that says on it "Engine Oil and filter access" or something along those lines...Glad you learned though...thats always a positive...;)

I took my 2000 Forester with 130,000 to a brand new Subaru dealer to have the Oil changed. After it was done, I drove my Forester down some snow covered roads, pressed the gas to get some wheel slip for fun. I got some slip, then Bang, shudder. Something shifted hard and the wheel slip stopped. I repeated the process. It did it again. The bang was hard as if i had driven over and hit a big rock underneath the car. I noticed a earlier post that an oil change crew had replace the tranny fluid with oil in error. Would that have accounted for my event. How can I tell if that happened. Oil vs Tranny fluid. Smell, look taste different? I have driven about 50 miles since the change.

Lew

It sounds to me like this is somewhat normal..Are you sure your not just hearing/feeling your transfer clutches engaging and disengaging?...If they did drain the transmission which I doubt if you went to a Subaru dealership..you would have to be dumb as a rock to fill up the trans instead of the engine with oil..in this case your oil was double filled which means you would prob. be pouring smoke out of the exhaust....plus this means you would be around 4 qts low on trans fluid...your ATF light would most likely be on...If your concerned pull the engine oil dipstick and make sure the level is correct..also pull the dipstick for the trans with the engine running on level ground and make sure the level is correct...

I'm astonished they still charged you.

I'm sure the trans fluid they put in is top quality too...

Any time I take mine in during the winter I have to remind them as well. Had a few close calls.