Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95, 2.2L FSM discrepency? typo? what gives...

OK, so I am chasing a P0130 and yeah, I know, just replace the sensor and go from there, or it could be any number of sensors causing havoc... but being who I am I need to research and read-up on everything in an attempt to understand things.

So I go to the FSM. I go to the Troubleshooting section, OBD II chapter, and read about the steps that include checking pin #4 for 0.2v or more (bottom right pin looking at the car-harness connector).

So I go to the Pin on the car with my multimeter and lo and behold, there's no pin #4. There's only Pin 1, 2 & 3.(blank spot in bottom right pin location). Same deal on the O2 sensor connector, blank spot in #4 location.

I then go to the wiring diagram section of the FSM, and the diagram indicates 3 pins. But the diagram lists 3 pins, pin numbers 1,2, & 4.

According to the FSM here's what the connector pins should look like, the red is what's absent on my Soob.

O2 sensor connector:

2 l 1

-----

4 l 3

Car harness connector:

1 l 2

-----

3 l 4

So can anyone shed some light on this one for me. Maybe somebody with a 95 2.2L FSM to compare...

WTF? :confused:

What is pin 4 supposed to be according to the manual?

O2 sensors of that error are going to have three wires going to them. One is the sensor signal, one is 12v for the heater, and the other is ground for the heater. Typically, red & black are the heater power and ground. It should be easy to determine those wires. Once you determine that, you can then the voltage on the signal wire.

Well that answers my question... the page I have is NOT that. The text is below... the pdf file i have is encrypted for security so I can't extract images or just one page to attach here.

This link may work... may not...

https://acrobat.com/#d=JE40RGrTi*HvjoKuKCigRQ

https://acrobat.com/#d=VJY3rbc1DocpW2wxqD8GYg

Did you download that FSM from the web? If so can I get the address so I can unload the one I have... clearly irrelevant...

OBD0705A

3 CHECK HARNESS CONNECTOR.

1) Turn ignition switch to OFF.

2) Disconnect connector from front oxygen sensor.

3) Turn ignition switch to ON.

4) Measure voltage between front oxygen sensor harness

connector and body.

: Connector & terminal

(B18) No. 4 — Body/0.2 V, or more

: Repair harness and connector.

NOTE:

In this case, the following are the possible causes.

1 Open circuit of harness between ECM and front oxygen

sensor.

2 Poor contact in the ECM connector.

: Go to next .

: Is there poor contact in front oxygen sensor

connector?

: Repair poor contact in front oxygen sensor connector.

: Replace front oxygen sensor.

I realise you have found a different manual now and have sorted it, but, for future reference...

Subaru manuals are not always consistent in the way they label pins in plugs. I'd suspect the picture you were looking at might have been a back view or a front view when you were expecting the opposite.

Have a look at how thay have labeled the OBD2 plug for your car and use that to figure which way around your diagrams are.

Actually, on second thought, I thnk they can change from wiring section to section in some manuals. You probably just have to check every instance you come across.

Backwards or forwards, plug B18 in my pic and in the pic Fairtax4me posted are clearly different. His is slotted for three pins and mine is slotted for 4 pins, even though mine only had three wires going into it.

I'd suspect the picture you were looking at might have been a back view or a front view when you were expecting the opposite.

Backwards or forwards' date=' plug B18 in my pic and in the pic Fairtax4me posted are clearly different. His is slotted for three pins and mine is slotted for 4 pins, even though mine only had three wires going into it.[/quote']

in 97, the front and rear o2 sensors are the same and both have 3 wires, but the connectors are different. one has a 3 pin connector and one has a four pin connector, i forget which is which.

95 they may be the same?

which o2 were you working on??

Does the connector on your car look like the one in the 96 manual?

I don't have the entire manual, there's a section missing I'm sure. I did download it online but I couldn't figure out where to tell you to get it from. I think it's gone now. I can email it to you if you want. I'll warn you though, it's a little out of order.

the front one has the 3 wire connector.

i couldn't tell from the AZ parts list if the front and rear are the same in 95.

i take it your manual only has the one write up?

Yes, the only write-up I have regarding the O2 sensor within the downloaded 95 fsm is the OBD II troubleshooting section and the wiring diagram that I posted on the Acrobat site.

Dammittohell isnt everything on the internet true?!?!? :rolleyes:

Does the connector on your car look like the one in the 96 manual?

I don't have the entire manual, there's a section missing I'm sure. I did download it online but I couldn't figure out where to tell you to get it from. I think it's gone now. I can email it to you if you want. I'll warn you though, it's a little out of order.

No, the conector on my car is a box with four "slots" for pins/terminals (both harness side and sensor side). However only three wires feeding both connectors. Number 4 terminal empty in both. FSM (the one I have) indicates #4 to be tested.

In an attempt to answer Legacy777's question, I think #4 is the ground (black wire) according to the wiring diagram... But I could be wrong on this.

When testing... #1 has 12v to it with ign to "On". which is the YR wire. The other two, #2 & #3 are quiet.

Fairtax2me: I will definitely take you up on your offer to email me that FSM you have. Out of order Smorder, the one I have was out of wack and I pieced it together... time I will never recoup. Having an FSM that doesn't reflect reality is killing me... its like having a parts diagram to an AK-47 when you have an AR-15 in front of you... I'll PM you... many thanks!

:confused::banghead::mad: , (find out USMB is there to save the day) :banana: , :drunk:

In an attempt to answer Legacy777's question' date=' I think #4 is the ground (black wire) according to the wiring diagram... But I could be wrong on this.

When testing... #1 has 12v to it with ign to "On". which is the YR wire. The other two, #2 & #3 are quiet.

[/quote']

Check for continuity between pins #2 & ground, and #3 & ground. Whichever one has continuity is the heater ground pin. That leaves the other the signal pin that goes back to the ECU.