Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on removal of rear ABS sensor?

hey all.

i've got the rear hub in my '96 legacy (AWD/ABS) ready, or almost ready, to come out for a wheel bearing replacement. everything is disconnected with the exception of the ABS sensor. the bolt is out but the sensor itself seems pretty well seized in there.

the hub is currently laying with the back of the sensor facing upward and i've sprayed some PB blaster around the edges hoping it will seep in.

any tips/ideas?

any idea where the closest connector along the cable is and whether it can be pulled though into the wheel well in a worst-case scenario?

thanks!

Edited by hklaine

and it worked afterward?

after pooling PB Blaster around the sensor i'm able to spin it the slightest amount when hitting the metal plate on the backside (where the bolt goes through) with a hammer. unfortunately there is very little room to spin it or strike it due to the hub being in the way :-(

i could pound on it from the outside but was afraid to do so.

the collar that it sits is in pretty long so there is LOTS of surface area for it to bond!

grrrr.... the long bolt that goes through the lateral link, after some serious PB Blaster soaking, came out pretty easily after hitting it a few times with the impact gun. i thought i was home free after that...

just another reason in which ABS is quite flawed.

Get a pair of vice grips that grab the bracket and wiggle it at the bracket, not the sensor. Don't beat on it with a hammer, wiggle movement is how to remove it, no hammer. I fear west coasters, do not have removal problems.