Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hopeful owners - Question before buying

Hello All - not sure if this belongs in this section so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong.

My roommate is looking for her first car and we found a decent option in the area - a 1994 Subaru Loyale. We have yet to go look at the car but the Craigslist ad has given me a few concerns.

First, the ad says the 4wd doesn't work. I know the Loyale had an option of toggling the 4wd but if this happens to be a version that is always in 4wd, how bad is it if it doesn't work? If the rear wheels don't work, how difficult is it to repair?

Second, what are some common things to look for when buying a used Loyale? I'm a little used to mechanics (I am a Volkswagen mechanic and my Vanagon has an EJ22 motor in it) so I'm not too worried about fixing the car, I just want to know if it is more trouble than its worth.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Above all it's a 20 year old car, and you can't assume anything was done to take care of it - just like any other car. The 4wd could be as lame as a switch, or something more involved. If the price is low enough, you can put up with some repairs... really it's the same basics as anything else, using oil? leaking oil? yada yada

I'm not aware of any all wheel drive loyales, all part time 4wd... so it could be something as simple as a bad vacuum actuator for the 4wd. Or... more.

How has the cooling system been maintained... overheating tends to result in head gasket problems on the EA82's, especially ones over 200k. That's the biggest issue. And, when was the timing belt last changed. Other than that, they aren't that bad... way less power than the EJ22 cars, so the price should be lower. It won't have the desireable dual range transmission that the old GL's had.

How much do they want for it, and where are you located (potential prices can vary alot depending on where you are -- some places you can get a '94 legacy in decent shape for $1000 or less.... other places not... plus rust can be an issue in some places).

Z

Thats funny. I have a 1990 loyale on CL and the 4wd doesnt work on it

either. For what is is worth, in my research here, the manual tranny push

button 4wd seems to be quite mechanically sound. It is vacume engaged. I

had an 89 loyale that went 275k without any problems worth mentioning. It

was a manual tranny with the push button 4wd. The one I have for sale

currently, is a 3 speed automatic. And for nearly 6 months I have been

looking for the part to repair the 4wd. Rob in Bonney Lake was able to get

me a part number and I have a line on the part. The 3spds auto's 4wd

system is engaged electro magnetic solenoid, and occasionaly prone to

failure. Otherwise, look for signs of overheating, or signs of a well

maintained cooling system. The head gaskets are really the only thing I

would be conserned about. Everything else is very easy to work on and

they are easy to find parts for...usually.

Hope it helps

Mike

sorry about the spelling, Im in a hurry, Fringe is on.

:lol::lol:

I'm not aware of any all wheel drive loyales, all part time 4wd... so it could be something as simple as a bad vacuum actuator for the 4wd. Or... more.

How much do they want for it, and where are you located (potential prices can vary alot depending on where you are -- some places you can get a '94 legacy in decent shape for $1000 or less.... other places not... plus rust can be an issue in some places).

Z

Thanks for the quick reply. The "always 4wd" idea I got was from the Wikipedia article about Loyales...I know, not exactly the best source.

As for location - we are in Iowa. The Loyale is listed for $200. It has other issues noted (needs new alt and maybe a new ignition coil) but I figured if I can hear it run without too much concern, we'll buy it.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm sure we'll be back with more questions.

Andrew

For $200, if it runs without overheating, doesn't make horrible grinding noises when you try to put it in 4wd, and doesn't have the frame rails rusted through, it's probably worth it. It's the one's that people have listed for $1000 with something not working that make wonder a bit....