Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The hillholder on my '98 legacy seems to be 'sticking'. When I come to a stop pointing uphill it won't easily release when I try to get going again. Any ideas what could be causing this? I don't have any problems when stopped on the level or downhill, but the slightest uphill and the breaks won't let go and drag for a while. If I tap the breaks a bit they seem to release after a short distance.

I did recently have the gas tank replaced and they put in new break lines in the back at the same time.

Originally I noticed the break pedal went a bit closer to the floor than usual before it would firm up. I thought there may have been a 'tiny' bit of air in the lines still, but hadn't been able to get the car into a shop to have it looked at. Just about the time the hillholder started acting up the break pedal seemed to adjust itself.....a.k.a went back to the more typical travel distance before firming up.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Check the adjustment on the cable.

Occassionally, the angle of the hill holder needs adjusted(espescially when rear struts/springs where out and car sags a bit in the back)

If the cable adjusment is good. Then try unbolting the rear bolt on the hillholder mount, and shim a washer under it. This will give it a bit more "downward" point. It should make it so the valve won't work unless there is a bit more of a hill.

Of course, it is always possible that it's truly just getting stuck. Perhaps dirty fluid fromt he resevior was sucked down the lines to the hillholder when they did the brake work. If that is the case....try a full flush and bleed of the brakes.

Last resort replace the valve (not hard.....just messy.)

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much! My brother is the mechanically inclined one in the family so I'll print off your suggestions and bring them over to his place this weekend when he has the chance to look at the roo.

UC

Nevermind i said something about a clutch cable noticed its a 98 so ignore it.

nipper

Nipper- you were right the first time! None of the early hydraulic clutch vehicles had hill holder. Since this is a Legacy with a 5MT, it's almost definitely a 2.2L with a cable operated clutch. The last of the cable operated clutches in the Legacy line was the '99 2.2 5MT Legacy. The hydraulic clutches were only on 2.5 L vehicles (all post '96 OBWs for example.)

Ok, so I found out on the weekend that I need a new spring for my hill holder mechanism that is located under the hood of my '98 Legacy, 2.2. My brother did a temporary fix of the spring and it's working relatively well at the moment, but I should try to get a new one soon......so called Subaru. Of course you can't just buy the spring, you have to buy the whole mechanism for $300 CAD!

The spring itself looks relatively mundane and I was wondering if a trip to the local hardware store would produce a spring similar to the one used on the hill holder system? I would rather get a new one than one from a salvage yard that could be 50% rusted out to begin with. Anyone know the specs/tension of this spring by chance??

UC

Nipper- you were right the first time! None of the early hydraulic clutch vehicles had hill holder. Since this is a Legacy with a 5MT, it's almost definitely a 2.2L with a cable operated clutch. The last of the cable operated clutches in the Legacy line was the '99 2.2 5MT Legacy. The hydraulic clutches were only on 2.5 L vehicles (all post '96 OBWs for example.)

hehehe i can't keep these things straight in my head sometimes :)

nipper