Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater problems. blown HG? 1980 hatch

1980 1600 hatch ea71 top center mount starter, etc...

my radiator fan control switch went out, I have a small leak in my radiator drain cock. I have rigged the fan to be constantly on, or constantly off, I keep the level to where the little sticker indicates it should be. and still I get luke warm heat for about 3 minutes, then it goes cold on any mode, recirc, vent, heat, and def. If I wait another 10 minutes it does the same thing.

before this all happened, the heater worked great, my temp gauge would never get above a little below the 1/4 mark, and would always be warm once it reached that level on the gauge.

now with the radiator fan on constant, it gets to right at 1/4 with no steady heat.

with the radiator fan off and while the vehicle is moving, it does the same thing.

if I'm sitting in a parking lot with the car idling, it will get to 1/2 on the gauge and start spewing steam and water.

so my questions are...

is this problem due to the fan ctrl switch, and the drain cock?

is there a different temp thermostat I can put in to give me better heat?

I think I have a 190* thermostat in right now.

I plan to order the fan ctrl switch, and drain cock on the 4th, and install them on the 5th. if I need a new thermostat, I'd like to do it while I have the cooling system empty.

btw.. when the temp gauge is at normal operating range for my car, all of the hoses, heater hoses included, are all warm/hot.

also, I think I might have a small leak in my head gaskets, my brand new plugs have rust colored substance on the porcelain. I did a compression test on saturday, I have

1. 115 psi

2. 125 psi

3. 140 psi

4. 115 psi

thank you all for your input in advance!

Kyle B.