Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving with drive shaft removed

remove the rear half, and leave the front half there to keep the fluids in. just run in FWD and be good to go

+1

I've ran it like this before, take it off at the carrier bearing and the rearend, it won't hurt anything.................

Jeff

You can do it if you don't have an automatic - if you have an automatic (either the 3AT or the 4EAT) you will damage the transmission if you drive it without the driveshaft in place. You will burn up the rear drive engagement clutch pack.

You may be able to put the FWD fuse in and limp around for a little while, but that's not a permanent solution.

In addition - in case you aren't aware - the u-joint's are not technically serviceable. They are staked in place and must be removed with care - direct replacement's are not availible but there are options if you match them up by size to aftermarket u-joints. I beleive something for a Toyota fits - probably many other's as well. Just be aware it's not as simple as replacing the joint.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You can do it if you don't have an automatic - if you have an automatic (either the 3AT or the 4EAT) you will damage the transmission if you drive it without the driveshaft in place. You will burn up the rear drive engagement clutch pack.

You may be able to put the FWD fuse in and limp around for a little while, but that's not a permanent solution.

In addition - in case you aren't aware - the u-joint's are not technically serviceable. They are staked in place and must be removed with care - direct replacement's are not availible but there are options if you match them up by size to aftermarket u-joints. I beleive something for a Toyota fits - probably many other's as well. Just be aware it's not as simple as replacing the joint.

GD

Yeah, this is why I'll most likely be replacing the entire drive shaft.

So if I leave it connected to the transmission (manual trans) but disconnect it from the rear diff, and leave it in FWD, it should be OK? The front u-joint is the one that's bad.

Other than the u-joint still beating itself up - without a load on it, it should be fine yeah. Can't be any worse than leaving the whole shaft in there.

Won't hurt the tranny either way - just leave it in 2WD and you won't notice a thing.

You could remove the front shaft and just install the slip yoke back into the transmission (after removing the u-joint) and keep it in place with a few large zip-ties. As long as you have it there to keep the gear oil from draining out and you keep in it 2WD so there is no power to the rear output it would be fine.

GD

I must reply to general disorder..

A 3at will be fine, since there is no motion to the rear driveshaft when not in 4wd

and..

if you remove the rear half of the driveshaft, and the car is in fwd, the front half of the driveshaft is stationary(not turning) because it is not rolling along with the rear axle, and is not being propelled by the trans. it merely acts as a plug to keep the fluids in wit this configuration

if you remove the rear half of the driveshaft, and the car is in fwd, the front half of the driveshaft is stationary(not turning) because it is not rolling along with the rear axle, and is not being propelled by the trans. it merely acts as a plug to keep the fluids in wit this configuration

This is good to know. I wasn't sure whether the rear diff or axle caused the spinning. Thanks.