Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil cooler, well more like heat exchanger question.

One of the junk 2.5 motors I got for parts had one of these coolers on it where the oil filter screws on. You know its basically a sandwhiched plate between the filter and block that runs water around the oil to get it warm when the oils cold, and to cool it down if its hotter than the coolant. I'm wondering if this is worth going through the effort to put this on my motor. I'd have to remove one of those very large tight plugs in the water jacket, and then theres like 6 more spots I could leak water from. And this is my daily driver I'm not going to be beating on it or anything, I'd just see it helping get the oil up to temp much quicker. So what do you guys think worth putting on or no?

From what you describe, it is a lot more trouble than what it is worth to install the oil cooler. As your daily driver, I doubt that you are ever stressing out your motor to create high oil temps, that an oil cooler could address. I also doubt the cooler could help warm your oil much when the motor is stone cold. If it were me, I would apply my time and energy towards auto upkeep.

One of the junk 2.5 motors I got for parts had one of these coolers on it where the oil filter screws on. You know its basically a sandwhiched plate between the filter and block that runs water around the oil to get it warm when the oils cold, and to cool it down if its hotter than the coolant. I'm wondering if this is worth going through the effort to put this on my motor. I'd have to remove one of those very large tight plugs in the water jacket, and then theres like 6 more spots I could leak water from. And this is my daily driver I'm not going to be beating on it or anything, I'd just see it helping get the oil up to temp much quicker. So what do you guys think worth putting on or no?

If you make short trips it might help keep the oil fresh-and-minty.

It probably was salvaged from an H6, someone might need/want it if you aren't going to use it.

Dave

I agree with CNY_Dave. During short trips, idling, stop & go, etc., the coolant will warm up significantly sooner than the oil will, and it will stay warm, so the exchanger can be quite helpful. I'm glad my Baja has one, though I'm not sure I'd put it on if it hadn't come as OEM.

Well its not like it'd be a huge hassle to get the parts, its just a matter of getting that huge plug out of my block, anyone have any advice on that? And maybe I should give it a shot, because most this car sees alot of short 5 minutes drives.