Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad gas mileage...

Sorry - i'm sure this gets posted on semi-regularly. I was trying to search, but didnt have much luck. You can make me look like an idiot and refer me to a link if you so desire...Anyways- have an 86 gl wagon ea82, carb. Ive been getting 18 MPG's lately. I was wondering if you guys experience that bad or if there is something I could look into to improving this a little bit. It seemed like i was at least getting in the low 20's a few months ago...

Thanks

I'd be suspect of the choke not coming all the way off. If the heater coil for the choke is getting tired, cold weather will put more of a strain on it and it may not pull the choke plate all the way open. Once the car is warmed up, take the cover off of the air cleaner. You should see the choke plate in the top of the carb, and it should be near verticle. If it isn't, and it's still like / in the carb opening, you may need to adjust or replace the heated coil on the side of the carb.