Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I broke and replaced my TPS (EA82)

...just like that, trying to clean the TPS Sensor (that also contains the Idle Switch) I figured out too late it was made not to open, or ment to broke when you try to :mad:

So I had to buy an used one, for 48.000 Chilean pesos (about 94 USD) :eek:

I also bought a thickness gauge so I could get the right position to the sensor according to the repair manual (My car is a 93 Wagon with MPFI). The result is very good, the car runs smooth at idle and I don't get that "stall" feeling I used to have when I took away the foot from the gas pedal with the gear engaged. (doing so I felt the car like I was pushing the brake). Next thing to do is to replace the Oxigen Sensor, not an easy task since you have no space to do it, I think I'll have to take out or at least loose up the exhaust manifold (both of them). I'd like to ask you something... Is it true that retarding the ignition timing I'll get better emissions result?

Edited by Duraznov

Drop the front exhaust to get to the O2 sensor. Much easier that way and really only a couple of bolts.

Yes - retarding the timing will typically improve emissions readings. It causes less efficient combustion and thus lowers cylinder temps and results in fewer oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and increases exhaust temps (still burning as it leaves the cylinder) and results in less HC's.

GD