Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MS-1 v2.2 succesfully running on EA-82t

CHIM

MS-1 v 2.2 assembly and install on n/a block-turbo conversion

We chose the MS-1 un-assembled to save a few bucks and maybe learn somthing in the process.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2088

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2089

So here is the MS-1 componets unpacked and ready for assebly, allmost overwelming at first glance but it was accully pretty easy and fun assembling in small steps.

First things first you gotta have the write tools on hand and some knowlage of soldering.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2090

Here we have a very important tool, makes a great wheight to hold componets in place on the bottom of the board while soldering.

The contents of this bottle help furthermore in making the project a little funner and less duanting:lol:.

after alot of reading and double checking my work and about 2 hours later i have an assembled MS-1

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2092

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2091

Back side of the board showing the built in MAP sensor (no MAF to deal with under the hood YAY!)

I assembled the MS-1 without the stimulator wich is NOT the recomended way to do it, During the assembly process you are asked to test the board after several steps of the process (tight budget kept us from getting the stimulator) But all came togeather well, must have done somthin' rite:banana:

The Megamanual containing the assembly instructions is very descriptive and writen in easy to understand step-by-step english.

This MS-1 kit is a fuel system managment only (no ignition control) so i used the 2 pole hall distributor (carb model), The MS-1 needs a extra jumper installed the recognize the hall sensor as it is not a solid on/off break but rather a wave pulse.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2093

so she's assembled and ready to install!

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2096

If your planning on running a megasquirt save yourself some trouble and get the DB37 pigtail, usuing wire cut from the stock harness was a pain in the butt to solder to the VERY small pins on the DB37. (we accully choose the get the pigtail after multiple problems with the wire moving and shorting out and fryed a diode).

The point to usuing a megasquirt in the first place is to have custom control over your fuel delivery and minimise unwanted or unnessisary items from the motor compartment.

We removed the stock cold idle valve from the thermostat housing and used a carbed housing instead.

Since we have no plans to install a AC on this vehicle we use the fast idle switch located behind the throttlebody.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2101

This switch is used by the stock system to idle the motor up to counter the extra load from using the AC, and yes it works great as a cold idle switch. The MS-1 allows you to adjust what temperature the cold idle switch engages and disenages.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2094

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2095

I had the laptop on hand during the entire install so i could test and check each item as i connected them, eliminating any probles before they they happen.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2100

I ended usuing the stock temp sensor (the one on the back of the manifold) after realizing it was compatible with the MS-1, leaving the one on the front of the manifold open for the stock temp guage.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2098

i made this inline temp sensor before i realized the stock one worked with the MS-1. (was going to be inline on the input heater hose).

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2099

This is our custom intake, yes it's a exhuast 90 (remember i said we were on a budget?) :lol:

Had to use a few pieces from the stock rubber tube to get a snug fit on the air filter.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2102

And here is the intake air temp sensor, When buying sensors for a megasquirt think "Chevy", alot of chevy sensors are universal and work perfect with a megasquirt! This is an open element air temp sensor, it's important to use the open element on a turbo as the intake air temp changes with the use of the turbo.

The open element sensors react faster than a closed element sensor.

The closed element sensor's are fine for N/A motors as they do not heat up and cool down constantly.

The MS-1 also allows you to easily calibrate your TPS as well, no worries if you have removed it and it's not set anymore, a few simple slicks and your TPS can be set to the MS1.

Here are a few screen shots of tuner studio and the setup were running on this car.

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2103

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2104

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2105

picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=2106

I do have the saved file that can be directly uploaded the the megasquirt ECU wich will set everything you see here if anyone wants it.

throw it all togeather and....... SHE RUNS!

Of course you want proof!

Next project: MS-2 v 3.57 on EJ-22 turbo RX conversion!

Edited by CHIM

nice! have you had a chance to drive it yet??

Yes, i did drive it, still a little boggy in the top end (still tuning) but it has a violent pull on the low end, we were in the process of working it out when the fuel pump quit.

we'll get it:)

Nice write up, I've always wanted to do this just for kicks. Dont' have the time but should I ever this thread is a nice start. Thanks for sharing, good stuff.

Do you have an approximate time for

1. Construction

2. Install

3. Tuning ?

4. Set up - sensors, etc?

assembling the MS-1 took about 2-2 1/2 hours, went pretty smooth

Install i took my time on and took about 3 days in all for setup.

Tuning is the time consuming one, never working with a Megasquirt i took alot of reading and hair pulling. Tuning is bar far the most complicated part.

I do have a saved copy of the tuning map so anyone interested running a MS-1 on a EA-82 can hit me up, ide be more than happy to send it to you saving alot of time getting your car running.

Tuning took me the better part of a week with ALOT of research.

I'll go thrue the writeup later and include more details and part numbers for after market items used.

So when are you going to get the LCDash? :lol: It looks sweet, and I am actually going to install one when I get do the MS to my MR2, but it would be great in a Subaru for sure! :lol: This is really good stuff!

this is my nephew's car, I'll be saving all the goodies for RX-2.2t MS-2 project.......:banana:

It seems awfully complicated to me, then again, I've never really worked on Fuel Injection. How did you learn all this? I have no idea what Dwell is or anything! :D

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots.... of reading man.

I now have a much better understanding of fuel injection after this project by far.

Fun upgrade with lots of features over stock and truly a learning expirience.

And yes, it was worth it.

• 5 months later...

Thought i should add as well, The MS-1 at minimum does not use all the pins on the DB37 conector. I choose to run wires for the currently unused pins anyway just in case we decided to have the MS-1 control somthing else later. Such as cooling fans or a turbo whastgate solenoid.

Just a good idea to think about when your making your harness.