Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 ej powered wagon build ** W/pics*

lumpycam

Lately there's been alot of questions asked about ej swaps for gen 1 (1977-1981). It has been done many times , in many different ways.I am building a 1979 wagon with an ej25/22 built motor.I took lots of pics while installing engine and trans. I will keep adding to the photo album as I progress.This should answer a few of the questions about swapping ej22's into gen1 brats ,wagons,and coupes.

Here's the combination list:

1979 gen1 wagon

1996 ej25 short block

1990 ej22 dual port heads (port & polish)

compression 11 :1

Delta 230 cams

light weight crank pulley

custom long tube headers

1990 ej 5mt trans with 23 spline stubs AWD

4.10 gears

Lsd rear r160

custom driveshaft

six lug conversion

vented front disk brake upgrade

rear disk (pending if I find lost rotor in shop)

205/50/15 tires

ej radiator

obd1 ecu and cut harness

I am thinking of adding a turbo or supercharger with low boost just for a bit more hp. The engine is estimated at 200 chp not dynoed! I would like to be at 200 whp or more !!

2048103600101713470wlyUkj_th.jpg2305485550101713470kDmLIN_th.jpg2086168560101713470JQMcAx_th.jpg2397864170101713470FZTGfv_th.jpg

PHOTO ALBUM

2048103600101713470wlyUkj_th.jpg

Edited by lumpycam

1996 ej25 short block

1990 ej22 dual port heads (port & polish)

compression 11 :1

Delta 230 cams

I am thinking of adding a turbo or supercharger with low boost just for a bit more hp.

Don't.

Drive the car first with the engine set up the way it is. Don't be fixated on a #, focus on how the car is to drive. The combo you've got should generate more than enough power to be fun to drive.

Especially if you want a daily driver, you don't want a high compression turbo motor. You'll be buying premium gas as it is, you'd have to run race gas or a methanol injection system all the time.

Don't.

Drive the car first with the engine set up the way it is. Don't be fixated on a #, focus on how the car is to drive. The combo you've got should generate more than enough power to be fun to drive.

+12345

look into a new intake setup, i would go with itb's since you have reground cams and high compression. Opening the intake will gain quite a bit of power with your setup. You can run ITB's with your afm even, but you'll need something to read the new TPS signal.

I forgot to mention that this motor was in my black gen 1 brat from a while back. I ran it at the local drag strip with an E.T. 15.4 @ 94 mph. The brat was rwd LSD 4.44 and had serious traction issues.Hence the reason for the wagon being AWD.

2524163910101713470S200x200Q85.jpg2524163910101713470S200x200Q85.jpg2981534600101713470S200x200Q85.jpg

I know that better fuel is required , I will be using premium + TORCO additive (98-102 octane). I am no FNG when it comes to building fast cars, it's my addiction! The mention of hp numbers was to give others an idea of were I'm heading with this build.I perhaps mislead readers when I said "DAILY DRIVER" because I will drive just about anything on a daily basis.

simple monkey good call on the intake, I've been wanting to build a new high flow manifold. This is why I haven't put the stocker back on.I see alot of people want more power from there engine but they don't address these intake manifolds. The airplane boys seem to have alot of good info on design a proper intake manifolds. I looked into ITB's some already still need to research some more.

At this point on my car I need to decide if I am using a turbo or not. If I do then the Turbo(s) will be under the back seat area and piped back to engine bay. Using a blow thru maf with BOV before it so I can control boost level manually. I have a couple IHI ea82 turbos to use in this probably not the best pick but I got them for free.free.free. The headers I have were built for true dual pipes, so one for each head and then single 2 1/2 inch tail pipe out the back. The back seat will be gone and hole cut in floor board to mount the turbo's up high.This will alow for a dedicated oiling system with tank , 1 pump and gravity return. I want to pull my fresh air from the windsheild cowl area. I removed the stock heater system ( bad core) to save weight. Just need to figure out how to pipe it to the rear, maybe a custom center console ? If I decide not to use turbos then I have to build a custom 2 1/2 high flow muffler to fit were the stock gen1 mounted. I have made a FLowmaster style muffler before with good results but this one will be tricky to design. I wish I could put the dual exuast on the wagon that my brat had.On the brat I moved the fuel tank to the bed and put the mufflers were fuel tank used to be. It sounded awesome, I was told it resembled the sound of two crotch rockets racing side be side!:grin:

conversly, exhaust will make an impact on the engine. are you planning on running an equal length exhaust manifold? there are $50.00 ones on ebay, sounds great, right?

this is a very exciting build for me, i always wanted a high compression subie with open stacks. but, i didn't get to keep my subie very long. :(

anyway, cool build, keep us updated.

Got some work done this week, pesky customer keep slowing me down ! I pulled the rear seat , completed installing fuel lines, started routing engine harness.I built the shifter linkage, made it fit to stock position using original stick and boot. It looks just like stock ,but shifts short throw .I also drained the fuel tank today, it looked clean but smelled like stink. I was thinking of using the drain hole as the feed line to the pump. I would have to drill a larger hole and thread it for 7/16 fuel fitting. If I use the old fuel line as the return line then I wouldn't need a serge tank and two fuel pumps.I need to see how the old fuel line lays in the tank, I have another tank out will need to take a look tomorrow. That's all for now , no new pics Sorry !!!

• 3 months later...

Here's an update on my progress, oops! I got busy building it and forgot to post them, so I'll skip to the end !

IT'S DONE !!!!!

2922781930101713470S500x500Q85.jpg

And now I can start another project, hmmm what will it be?

Hope to make it to wcss this year and see everyone . Later