Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so my friend has a 91 legacy 2.2 turbo 5 speed that i will probably buy for parts for my 93 impreza. i mostly want motor and turbo set up with full exhaust and back up trany and diffs. what else can i use? struts, breaks, interior? will the exhaust bolt on or will i have to modify it? thanks tyler

Brakes will swap over with some work on the rears.

Inter front seats will bolt in the backs are larger

You'll want to pull the ECU and all the wiring, this will not be plug and play.

Front Struts should bolt up, you may need to change the top mounts over.

The exhaust will have to be modified to fit the Impreza.

I just did some of the homework for you at Autozone. If your vehicles are both 2wd AND your Impreza uses 14 inch wheels then they have the same rotor but not if you have 13 inchers. Those 2wd Legacy rotors will also fit an AWD Impreza but the AWD Legacy rotors will not fit the AWD Impreza. Maybe they will if you swap out calipers also but that is maybe!

This is not a final word on the subject. These parts stores can have wrong info. The pads Advance said were for my OBS did not fit in the caliper. Everything was the same size except that the end tabs were too wide so I brought mine in to match up and the ones for supposedly non Outback Imprezas were what I needed.

thanks man. i work at autozone and stil cant work the website lol. i think the biggest thing i want is the motor to plug in. it makes sense to me that it would but the guy earlier said no so...lol i wonder if the harness from my 1.8 would go on the 2.2 so the car thinks its just a 1.8. i would think it would get enough fuel i do have a bigger fuel pump so i will just mait for more feedback and keep tryin to do more research

the knuckle assemblies are the same, so the brakes will swap. if the lego rotors are bigger then you would need to swap the calipers as well, (or the whole hub/knuckle assembly with the brakes already on it). if the wheels are the same no problem, but if the legos are larger then you would probably need them as well.

but i think the wheels are the same.

axle should be the same.

Edited by johnceggleston

thanks man. i work at autozone and stil cant work the website lol. i think the biggest thing i want is the motor to plug in. it makes sense to me that it would but the guy earlier said no so...lol i wonder if the harness from my 1.8 would go on the 2.2 so the car thinks its just a 1.8. i would think it would get enough fuel i do have a bigger fuel pump so i will just mait for more feedback and keep tryin to do more research

grossgary put a 1.8L in a lego LSi and was able to make it work, so it can be done going the other direction. it just isn't plug and play. i think some of the ecu pins are different so the wiring has to be altered.

i wonder if the turbo causes any headaches?

ok cool. i will search and see if i can find that thread and what pins i will need to mess with. the imprezas never came turbo right? at least not this body style. i have 14" wheels so i do think the others are bigger but they are mags of some sort so i would rather have them anyways

ok cool. i will search and see if i can find that thread and what pins i will need to mess with. the imprezas never came turbo right? at least not this body style. i have 14" wheels so i do think the others are bigger but they are mags of some sort so i would rather have them anyways

try swapping the wheels before you do anything else to make sure they will clear everything on your car, like the struts.

Yes, the harness will work but you won't have spots in your harness for the MAP sensor, the MAF will be different, and you won't have a knock sensor plug. If you 1.8 has EGR, there won't be anything for that on the 2.2.

Half-assing the swap doesn't make sense when you have a whole donor car. Swap the front crossmember, pull both dashboards, and do the wiring right. The EJ18 ecu also has pretty agressive timing maps and no knock sensor so it's not going to end well on a turbo engine.

Everything bolts in. You can either merge the dash harness or you can run the legacy harness for the whole front of the car and rewire for the rear. You can get very respectable power out of the EJ22 in stock form, but you need the right computer to go with it. Running the turbo motor with your 1.8 harness doesn't make sense.

ok cool. what would the front cross member gain me? and if i pull the harness out will it just plug into the impreza harness that goes to the the rest of the car? then to my instrument cluster and all? when i just did the harness to go from auto to manual there were two harnesses. one on the dash and one behind the heaterbox that went to the computer and engine. would i need to do both? if i do the swap i want it to be clean and easy to work on and have info on.